In partnership with the IRS, HCC will host a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) site in the spring of 2014 to offer free tax assistance to eligible individuals.
What services will be available?
We will be offering two tax assistance options, VITA and FSA.
Which service should I request?
|Who prepares my taxes?||An IRS certified volunteer||You prepare your own tax return|
|Is a volunteer available to help me?||A volunteer will prepare your return and will be able to answer questions throughout the process.||A volunteer will be available to answer questions as you prepare your own return.|
|Is an appointment required?||Yes||No, but making an appointment ensures that a computer will be available for you; walk-ins will be accommodated as space allows.|
|What is the maximum annual income for those desiring assistance?||$51,000||$58,000|
|How long will it take to prepare my tax return?||Appointments typically take 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the complexity of the return.||Preparing your own tax return will take approximately 1 to 3 hours depending on the complexity of the return and your familiarity with filing procedures.|
|Do I need to visit HCC's campus to use this service?||Yes, you will need to meet with a volunteer in person to complete your return.||No, the free FSA software can be accessed from anywhere by visiting www.myfreetaxes.com/hcc.|
When will I be able to visit the center?
HCC's Free Tax Preparation Center will host appointments on Mondays from 2:00pm-5:00pm and Fridays from 10:00am-2:00pm from February 10th through April 11th. The site will be located on HCC's main campus in Columbia, MD.
How do I make an appointment?
Appointments will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis beginning in January. Click the button below or call 443-518-1885 to request an appointment!
What do I need to bring?
You must have all required documents in order to receive assistance.
On the day of your appointment, you will need:
- Proof of identification - Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents (or a photocopy)
- OR a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- OR an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns if available
- Tuition Payment Statement issued by a college (Form 1098-T)
If you are claiming dependents:
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
If you are married and filing jointly:
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must sign the required forms before returns are filed
If you are a student:
- Know if you are claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return
Do you have other questions about HCC's VITA/FSA Free Tax Preparation Center?
Contact us at 443-518-1885 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to learn more about VITA sites, please visit the IRS' VITA information site by clicking here.