The Write Room
The Write Room is located inside the Learning Assistance Center (RCF 340). The instructors offer free assistance in all stages of the writing process for any credit course with written assignments. Students are asked to bring a copy of the assignment and any work in progress. Students may drop in for help during the following times:
|Monday||10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.|
5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
|Tuesday, Wednesday||9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. |
5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
|Thursday||10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.|
5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
|Friday, Saturday||10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m|
|Sunday||1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.|
Computer-aided tutorials are open to all students. Tutoring software for all content areas, for remedial work and for skill building is available. Writing and word processing software is also readily available. There is a computer lab area in the Learning Assistance Center. Every effort is made to insure that software programs being used in the English and mathematics areas as well as other academic areas are also available in the LAC.
The Learning Assistance Center sponsors workshops each semester that are open to all students. Topics covered include study skills, the assessment of learning style, note taking, and time management, beginning word, conducting a library search, writing a research paper, and reducing test or math anxiety. Schedules of workshop offerings with times and dates are generally available by the third week of classes each semester.
Composition and Literature Center
Located in the English, Languages, and Business Building (DH-210), the Composition and Literature Center (CLC) offers individualized instruction for all Howard Community College students enrolled in English courses. Our tutorial sessions tend to focus on the following four areas:
- Helping students develop strategies for revising essays,
- Providing guidance on writing in English for students with ESL backgrounds,
- Assisting students with reading comprehension concerns, and
- Addressing students' difficulties with grammar.
All English tutoring in the CLC is provided on a walk-in basis; we do not currently schedule appointments. Early arrival will help ensure that you'll have the opportunity to meet individually with a tutor.
All students seeking a tutorial session must sign in at the receptionist’s desk.
As the presentation makes clear, we expect students to be active participants in the CLC conferences. We do not offer a drop-off proofreading and editing service. Our sessions are dialogues in which students and tutors are equal participants.
English tutors will be available in the CLC during the spring semester for the following weekly schedule:
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Howard Online Writing Lab (HOWL). Unable to come into campus for help with a writing assignment? Try using HOWL, HCC's online writing lab. HCC students may use HOWL at any stage in the writing process, provided that they include an explanation of the assignment.
- Resources for Students and Tutors: Need more help with writing? Check out Purdue University's Online Writing Lab. This site has an outstanding selection of handouts on the writing process and grammar.
- Colorado State University Writing Center--excellent instruction, examples and activities (requires registration for activities, but the site "keeps" submitted work for collaboration and to show progress)
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)--Expert instruction and examples related to common and not-so-common writing issues from grammar to argumentative writing. Handouts, PowerPoint presentations, ESL-specific help, etc
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Writing Center--Expert explanation and examples for writing issues, with handouts, videos and demos