Checklist for Registered Students
Students will be given access to their online and hybrid course sites on the first day of the semester. To determine the specific start date of your course please refer to Howard Community College's Academic Calendar. Below is important information that will help you prepare for the start of your online or hybrid course.
Before Class Starts
1. Confirm Online Learning Technical Requirements
Online learners will need to have appropriate computer hardware and software as well as a high-speed internet connection to be successful. Prior to the start of your class be sure to assure that your particular computer configuration adhere's to HCC's minimum Technical Requirements.
2. Logging Into Canvas
HCC uses the learning management system Canvas to serve online, hybrid and supplemental course sites to students. Students will login to Canvas through HCC's Single Sign On services using their HCC Login ID. This ID has been provided via an email from Information Technology and will serve as your login information for a variety of services across campus.
Steps taken to login to Canvas are dependent upon your student status at HCC (credit, non-credit, or student attending one of our service center locations). Step-by-step instructions for how to login can be found on HCC's Student Training Site page for more information.
3. Read the HCC Netiquette Statement
HCC's Netiquette Statement outlines expectations for appropriate interaction in the online and hybrid classroom. Your faculty will expect that you are aware of this information and that you adhere to it.
The Day Class Starts
1. Login to Canvas and Access Your Course
Students login to Canvas using their HCC Login ID via one of these methods:
2. Read Your Course Description & Syllabus
The course description includes information about...
- course objectives,
- your instructor's name and contact information,
- course requirements, such as proctored testing (if any),
- textbooks and materials,
- course homepage, and
- technical requirements and plug-ins (download and install as required).
3. Begin Participating in Activities and Assignments
The course instructor will provide guidance on how to start participating in your course via an orientation or "getting started" module or by communicating via one of Canvas' many communications tools (announcement or message). Pay close attention to his/her introductory messages to gain critical information on what you should be doing and where. If you are at all unsure where to begin send your instructor a message via the Canvas inbox and he/she will quickly get back to you with guidance.
During the Semester
1. Finding Help For Canvas Use
A variety of resources are available to assist you in accessing and using Canvas. If you find you are having difficulty access the following resources:
- HCC's Student Training Course Site - step-by-step tutorials for using tools.
- IT Helpdesk - assistance with login issues, technical difficulties and use of tools.
2. Check Out HCC's Student Support Services
HCC offers students a variety of support services. Links below provide access to information related to various useful resources: