Why Study at The Music Institute?
Thank you for choosing The Music Institute at Howard Community College as the place to begin or continue your musical studies! Whether you are pursuing private lessons or enrolling in a class or ensemble, you will find our award winning faculty and beautiful facilities to be a warm, nurturing environment in which to attain your musical goals. After all, we want you to enjoy Music For Your Lifetime!
- TMI provides the most comprehensive and exceptional musical education experience in Howard County.
- Our faculty of more than 40 musician-educators, known both as excellent pedagogues and performers, are graduates of the finest music institutions in the world.
- State-of-the-art facilities in the Peter and Elizabeth Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center.
- Family members of all ages can study in one convenient location.
- You and your teacher determine when your lessons will occur and how often.
- TMI is large enough to offer a wide variety of programs, yet small enough to meet the individual needs and goals of each student.
- Our acclaimed faculty perform in a variety of musical styles and genres, and offer instruction at all ability levels.
- TMI's students study more than 20 different instruments across multiple genres, sing, compose, and improvise.
- Offering 9 ensembles and 8 classes, we have what you're looking for!
- If you don't see what you're looking for, just ask! We are often able to accommodate preferences, desired course changes, and other individual requests.
- Working with students and families, we identify the best teacher for each student’s learning style.
- Our Music Therapy options for individuals with special needs help transform and improve the quality of students' lives, while addressing each individual’s unique emotional, physical, cognitive, and social needs.
- TMI students have several performance opportunities available to them, including recitals, ensembles (large and small), and special events.
- Many of our school-aged students participate in Howard County GT Ensembles, Maryland All-State Ensembles, and area Youth Orchestras.
- TMI students also have the opportunity to work with visiting musicians through Master Class partnerships.
- Many of our students remain with TMI throughout their studies and some have gone on to major music schools, including Elon University and Oberlin Conservatory of Music.
- We are dedicated to enriching and building a stronger community through music by bringing students from across the county together to make music and forge lifelong friendships.
We invite you to pursue Music for Your Lifetime here at The Music Institute at HCC!
Student Achievements and News
Visit our TMI Tempo page, where you can view the current edition of our quarterly newsletter as well as peruse archived editions.
Or check out our Kudos page, where you can see what all our students are achieving!