Gemini Piano Trio Chamber Music Workshop
Continuing their tradition of high-quality music education, the award-winning Gemini Piano Trio, consisting of Drs. Benjamin Myers (cello), Hsiu-Hui Wang (piano), and Sheng-Tsung Wang (violin), conduct their five-week coaching workshop for chamber music ensembles. Past participants of the workshop have been accepted to major music conservatories, All State orchestras and ensembles, and have gone on to win international and major state and area competitions.
June 17, 2017 - July 23, 2017
Gemini Trio Coaching Workshop
- Hsiu-Hui Wang, Piano
- Sheng-Tsung Wang, Violin
- Benjamin Myers, Violoncello
Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:00 PM
Gemini Piano Trio Summer Chamber Music Celebration - Fundraising Concert for the Gemini Piano Trio Chamber Workshop Scholarship
Monteabaro Recital Hall
Howard Community College
Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center
The Concert will feature the Gemini Piano Trio, GPTCW alumni, and participants performing works by Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Bizet, Schoenfield, Tchaikovsky, and more.
Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:00 PM
This event is NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Gemini Piano Trio Chamber Music Workshop Concert
Ticket Information (similar to a regular HCC concert price):
- General Admission: $18
- Seniors (60+)/Military: $12
- Students: $10 (Must present current student ID or course schedule)
** Purchase your ticket by midnight one week ahead of the concert (July 16, 2017) to receive the following prices:
Faculty Concert Advance Ticket Prices
- General Admission: $16
- Seniors (60+)/Military: $10
- Students: $7 (Must present current student ID or course schedule)
The Gemini Piano Trio Chamber Music Workshop is open to a limit of ten pre-formed intermediate to advanced level groups preferably with performance-ready repertoire. Depending on the number enrolled, an audition may be held. Other outreach performing opportunities may be offered.
Any Chamber Grouping! Bring your Duo, Trio, Quartet, or Quintet—Strings, Winds, or Brass—any instrument combinations OR any instrument with piano
Basic Workshop Fee is $425 tuition + $25 fee, per person, for one group. This is an all-inclusive cost which includes 4 one-hour coachings, one masterclass given by all members of the Gemini Piano Trio, and three chamber music seminars. For those who would like to participate in a second group, an additional discounted workshop fee of $192 + $16 fee, per person is applied.
All participants are required to participate in both performances and in at least one masterclass.
Interested pre-formed groups should contact Gemini Piano Trio at email@example.com . Individual instrumentalists without a pre-formed group must contact the Gemini Piano Trio by the inquiry deadline below or sooner to be put on a wait list to form a possible chamber group. Placement is not guaranteed; payment will not be required until placement is confirmed. All first-time participants must submit, via email or through YouTube, a digital audio or video recording of his/her playing ability, along with the completed registration form.
Please note the following important dates and registration information:
May 22, 2017 – Inquiry Deadline for Individual Applicants who do not have a group
Deadline to submit digital recordings
May 26, 2017 – Extended Registration Form & Required Electronic Documents Deadline
Click here to download the GPT Chamber Music Workshop Registration Form
Click here for sample bio/headshot
June 5, 2017 – Tuition Payment Deadline (if payment is not received in full by this date, participants will not be permitted to participate in the program)
Please submit all required documents listed below by May 26, 2017. Please save all required documents listed below into a SINGLE Zip folder clearly labeled with your name and UPLOAD this folder to the following Link by the above deadline: https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbwA4nD2mmziLKBU8h7MXOZC6hRLZ961g403w_E9wosAnF56bYEL/exec
1) GPT Chamber Music Workshop Registration Form.
2) Your biography in WORD or Text (no more than 300 words) including information about your music education and performing experience. Please also include a biography of your chamber group, if any.
3) Your publicity headshot in formal or concert attire (at least 300 dpi). Please go to the GPT Workshop Webpage to view a sample headshot and bio.
Please note: your biography and pictures will only be used for publicity purposes associated with TMI and GPT Workshop program such as concert programs, concert videos, posters, fliers, brochures, and on TMI and Gemini Piano Trio websites (including Facebook and YouTube). If you have any concerns about the TMI/GPT publicity policy, please feel free to contact us.
4) A repertoire list of major solo or chamber pieces you have performed or worked on for the past two years.
5) *First-time participants ONLY, please submit a 5-10 minute video of two contrasting pieces best demonstrating your ability and level by May 22, 2017. You may submit via email or through a YouTube link, a digital audio or video recording file uploaded with your registration material.
*Featured Workshop Events*
~All events are held at the Horowitz Center for Visual and Performing Arts (HVPA) at Howard Community College in Columbia, MD, except the Vantage House Concert on July 17, 2017.~
- June 17, 2017 (Sat., 1:30 to 3:30 PM, HVPA 155) – Seminar I - "Effective Listening and Chamber Music Rehearsal Strategies" - Learn how to listen and communicate effectively in rehearsals and devise a plan for practicing your parts individually and as a group. We will address any questions regarding the workshop, including the orientation materials we sent out during the Q & A portion of the seminar (Sat., 3:30 to 4:00 PM, HVPA 155) - Workshop Orientation and Q & A Session.
- June 23, 2017 (Fri., 7:30 to 9:00 PM, HVPA 155) – Seminar II - "Journey of a Thousand Miles - Planning for a Meaningful and Enjoyable Chamber Music Performance Experience" - Learn about mindful performance planning and build individual and group confidence together. Other performance related topics will also be addressed.
June 30, 2017 (Fri., 7:30 to 9:00 PM, HVPA TBA) – Seminar III- "Instrument Playing Techniques for Chamber Music - Sectional Master Class with GPT members" - Similar to a sectional, this seminar will workshop specific instrumental techniques (keyboard, strings, winds, etc.). you will learn about special chamber music techniques for your specific instrument and receive advice to overcome challenging sections in your parts.
- July 16, 2017 (Sun., 3:00 PM, MRH) – GPT Combined Masterclass I
- July 17, 2017 (Mon., 7:00 PM, MRH) – GPT Combined Masterclass II
- July 19, 2017 (Wedn., 8:00 PM, Vantage House) – Outreach Concert
- July 23, 2017 (Sun., 4:00 PM, MRH) – Final Workshop Concert
Contact us or for more information:
- For GPT chamber workshop registration inquires, please contact GPT at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To learn more about the Gemini Piano Trio, please visit their website at www.geminipianotrio.org
- For GPTCW/TMI billing, publicity, or administrative inquiries, please contact Mr. James Bailey at JBailey@howardcc.edu or call (443) 518-4297
- For additional Music Institute program information, please visit our website at www.howardcc.edu/tmi
"Music is a lifelong process, and we musicians must never miss an opportunity to get to know our art a little better. I am sure that most of us artists have discovered that there is always something new to learn. These seminars provide valuable opportunities to hear professionals share their well-presented and carefully thought out devices. One of the most important skills I learned was how to approach and maximize performances, and I still refer back to what I learned on a regular basis. I would encourage everyone to attend; you never know what more you can gain!"
- Deanna Pellerano, pianist
"I want to thank you three wonderful coaches for all your generous, kind and helpful suggestions and direction. . . I especially appreciate your positive and encouraging manner - something that helps your students to aspire to do better and better. . ."