Get started using veterans benefits at HCC by following the following steps:
1. Complete the VA Application for Educational Benefits.
2. Complete an Application for Admission to Howard Community College.
3. Make an appointment to take the English and Math placement tests, if required.
4. Submit all official transcripts for evaluation to the Office of Admissions and Advising and complete the Official Transcript Evaluation Request Form. The transcript evaluation fee is waived for veterans.
5. Meet with an academic advisor to determine your program of study. Your program of study may not be listed as "Undecided".
6. Register for your classes. IMPORTANT: VA benefits do not apply to classes that are not required for your program of study.
- The Military & Veterans Student Information Sheet.
- A copy of your DD 214 & Certificate of Eligibility or NOBE (Chapter 1606 or 1607 only).
- Transfer students must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995 or VA Form 22-5495).
- Visiting students must provide an approved Permission to Study letter from your Home Institution.
- Veterans using Vocational Rehabilitation educational benefits must contact their Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor to obtain a copy of the VA Form 28-1905, Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status, to submit to the VA Certifying Official before any certifications can be processed. Veterans using Chapter 31 benefits are not required to pay for classes upfront if the VA Form 28-1905 has been submitted to the Cashier's Office.
8. Veterans may take advantage of the Veterans Deferred Payment Plan or the Tuition Payment Plan. The Veterans Deferred Payment Plan allows students to delay payment of their tuition until they begin receiving their veterans benefits by completing a GI Bill & Tuition Assistance Promissory Note each semester. For more information and additional payment options visit Pay for College.
Contact the VA Certifying Official or stop by the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans' Affairs, RCF-233, during counseling hours.