Howard Community College welcomes the opportunity to assist active-duty military personnel and their families, members of the Maryland National Guard, reservists, and veterans in achieving their academic goals. HCC is a member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC). The college also serves participants in the Veterans' Educational Assistance Program. Students should contact the Office of Admissions and Advising to update their military status as necessary.
Active Duty Military
The application fee is waived for active-duty military personnel. In accordance with Maryland law, active-duty military personnel residing in Maryland during their enlistment are entitled to in-state tuition, regardless of their legal residence. Those residing in Howard County during their enlistment are entitled to in-county tuition. Each branch has its own policy and application process for military tuition assistance. Refer to the links below for more information on tuition assistance.
- Army - HCC is a participating member of GoArmyEd, a virtual portal where all eligible Active Duty, Army Reservists and National Guard can request Tuition Assistance 24 hours a day.
- Air Force
- Coast Guard
Approved tuition assitance forms should be submitted to the Cashier's Office, RCF 212.
Members of the military, including active-duty military, reservists, and national guardsmen, who receive orders to deploy during an academic term, are eligible to receive 100 percent tuition, fees, and book refunds or petition for an incomplete grade. The following steps are required in either case:
- If time permits, discuss your options with an advisor in the Office of Admissions and Advising.
- Complete the Request to Change Enrollment Status Due to Emergency Government Service form. Please note: There are two different versions of this form—one for students receiving financial aid and one for students who are not receiving financial aid.
Emergency Government Service - Financial Aid Students
Emergency Government Service - Non-financial Aid Students
- Attach a copy of your military orders or a letter from your commanding officer.
- Submit the above to the Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs.Complete the additional procedures, as described on the form, for dropping classes, receiving a book refund, or petitioning for an incomplete grade.
Credit for Military Experience
Credit may be granted for military education and training programs. Credit is granted based upon learning program, American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations and articulation agreements with individual military branches and organizations. Learn more about transcript evaluation for military experience and requesting an official military transcript.
Military Spouses and Dependents
Military spouses and dependents can find academic programs to fit their educational needs at HCC. In accordance with Maryland law, the dependent family members of active-duty military personnel residing in Maryland are entitled to in-state tuition, regardless of their legal residence. Those residing in Howard County are entitled to in-county tuition.
The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program, MyCAA, offers eligibile spouses of service members a maximum of $4,000 in financial assistance to complete their coursework in associate degrees, certifications and licensures. For more information on MyCAA and to speak to a MyCAA Career Consultant, visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal.
The application fee is waived for veterans. Former military personnel and dependents are able to obtain assistance in applying for veterans' benefits, educational and occupational counseling, job referral, tutorial services and academic advising. A Veterans Deferred Payment Plan is also available.
A student planning use benefits should contact the Veterans Affairs Office located in the Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs as soon as the student has enrolled in the college or registered for classes. Veterans may take advantage of the Veterans Deferred Payment Plan.
Learn more about how to apply for your veterans benefits.
Waiver of Out of County/Out of State tuition rates for all employees and dependents relocating to the State of Maryland as part of the United States Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC). Download a Waiver Form in PDF format.
Members of the Maryland National Guard are entitled to tuition discounts for credit courses based on their legal residency as follows:
- Howard County Residents: 50 percent tuition discount based on the in-county rate
- Maryland residents: 25 percent tuition discount based on the in-state/out-of-county rate
- Out-of-state residents: 25 percent tuition discount based on the out-of-state rate.
Verification of active-duty status and residency is required. Guardsmen should consult with their commanding officers or HCC's Office of Admissions and Advising for additional information.
For information about services for veterans, military and dependents:
Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs
Howard Community College
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044