In choosing students for this selective program, high school performance, including grades, course selection, and SAT or ACT scores are reviewed. Intellectual interests, extracurricular activities, including those outside of school are also considered. Each applicant's essay, recommendations, and other indications of excellence are important factors in the selection process.
Candidates applying for the STEM Scholars Program must submit the following:
- Honors Application for Admission
- Honors Program Choice Form
- Official high school transcript
- Secondary School Report & Additional Information/Resume
- Official college entrance exam scores (SAT or ACT)*
- Essay explaining interest in the STEM field
- Teacher/Counselor recommendations (two are required)
- Official Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate or SAT Subject Test scores (optional)
- $35 application fee (waived for Early Entrance students and students with demonstrated financial need)
- Scholarship application and scholarship essay (optional, but strongly recommended)
*Academic performance and challenging coursework are the strongest factors for admission. In certain circumstances, consideration will be given to students for whom traditional indicators of academic excellence are not always valid. For some cases, students may be asked to come in to take the college's placement exam.