Skip Navigation

This glossary is intended to describe important vocabulary related to enrollment at HCC.  Terms related to admissions, testing, advising, registration, financial aid and payment services and processes are included as well as other critical vocabulary enrolled students should know.  Please contact or 443-518-1200 if you believe there is an error or have suggestions for words that should be added.  Your feedback is important

ABack to Top
A.A.Associate of arts degree. A degree awarded to students with a 2.0 or higher G.P.A. who have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours, including a general education core of 30 credit hours. This degree is designed to transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
A.A.S.Associate of applied science degree. A degree awarded to students with a 2.0 or higher G.P.A. who have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours, including a general education core of 20 credit hours. This degree is primarily designed to prepare students for immediate employment.

Associate of arts in teaching degree (A.A.T.). The A.A.T. is a degree awarded to students preparing to transfer to elementary education programs in Maryland. This is a 64 credit hour program comprised of a highly specific set of courses, including a 30 credit hour general education core. (Course substitutions are not possible.) To earn the A.A.T., students must complete the program with a 2.75 or higher G.P.A. They must also pass the Praxis I exam. (HCC also has an A.A. in elementary education. It is critical that students consult with an advisor about their transfer plans and the best elementary education option for them.)


Associate of Science and Engineering.  The A.S.E. degree is designed for transfer to a four-year institution to obtain a baccalaureate degree in engineering.  It includes a general education core of 30 credits.  Completion of an A.S.E. degree requires a grade of “c” or better in certain courses, such as mathematics, chemistry and physics.  It is strongly recommended to see an academic advisor to discuss transfer options.

Ability to BenefitStudents who are not high school graduates (or who have not earned a General Education Development (GED) Certificate) can demonstrate that they have the "ability to benefit" from the education or training being offered by passing an approved ability-to-benefit (ATB) test.
Academic YearHCC's academic year starts with the Fall term. A full academic year includes the Fall, Winter/Spring, and Summer terms.  The winter is a mini-session and the summer has several mini-sessions. The academic year and the catalogue year coincide.
AccreditationAccreditation is approval granted by an organization, government agency, or other entity, which certifies that an educational institution meets specific, approved operating and educational standards. HCC is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities, the Maryland Higher Education Commission, the National League for Nursing, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, the Committee on Accreditation of Education Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions, and the National Association of Schools of Music. It is also fully approved by the Veterans Administration for veterans' benefits.
Advising WeeksAdvising weeks are a two-week period scheduled both in the fall and in the spring to prepare students to register for the upcoming terms. For example, fall advising weeks are generally scheduled around the end of October and beginning of November to prepare students to register early for the winter and spring semesters. While students can be advised year-round through the Office of Admissions and Advising, the advising weeks period is designed to place special emphasis on advising and early preparation and registration for the upcoming terms.
AdvisorA professional staff or faculty member with specific expertise in helping students with academic planning. HCC's Office of Admissions and Advising is the college's primary provider of advising services.
AddA class may be added if the class has not met two times.
Allied HealthAllied Health programs include Cardiovascular Technology, Emergency Medical Services-Paramedic, Nursing, and Radiologic Technology.  These programs lead to certificates and/or degrees that provide immediate entry into a career field.
Alternative LoansPrivate loans (funded by commercial lenders) designed to supplement other types of aid and financial resources needed to assist students in meeting the cost of attending college. Alternative loans should be considered only after all other low-cost financial aid resources have been exhausted (e.g., grants, scholarships, Stafford loans).
AlumnusAn alumnus is a person who has graduated or attended a school, college, or university. The HCC Alumni and Friends Association is the college's organization for its graduates, former students, and friends.
ARTSYSARTSYS is a computer program that assists students transferring from Maryland community colleges to University of Maryland System colleges and universities and some area private colleges and universities. It provides information about course transferability and program (major) requirements. ARTSYS is available on the internet at or by accessing the program in the Transfer Center, Office of Admissions and Advising.
AuditAn enrollment option for a credit class. No credit is earned for audited courses. A final grade of "N" (designating "audit") will appear on the transcript. Students must select this option within a specified time period.
Award Package

The total amount of financial aid a student receives for a single academic year. A financial aid package may include a combination of grants, scholarships, work and/or loans. These awards could be from federal or state funds, the college, or private sources.

BBack to Top
Bachelor's DegreeThe degree awarded by four-year colleges and universities. There are different types of bachelor's degrees such as a B.A. (bachelor of arts), B.S. (bachelor of science), and B.F.A. (bachelor of fine arts). Each four-year institution makes its own determination about the type of bachelor's degrees it offers and the qualifications necessary for receiving one or the other.
CBack to Top
Cafe' on the QuadHCC's cafeteria is called Cafe' on the Quad
Career ProgramsLearning programs (majors) designed to give students the academic background and career skills necessary for direct entry into the job market. Career programs lead to certificates of proficiency or A.A.S. degrees.
CatalogueHCC's catalogue describes the college's policies, procedures, services, learning programs, and courses. It also lists the college's full-time faculty and administrative and professional staff. The catalogue is printed once a year.
Catalogue YearHCC's catalogue year coincides with its academic year. The college publishes a new catalogue for each new academic year. Students follow the programs and program requirements as outlined in the catalogue in effect at the time they initially enroll. The exceptions to this rule are: a) if and when students change their learning program/major, they must follow the requirements of the catalogue in effect at the time of the change (or a later catalogue if they choose); b) if a student has been out of the college for more than two academic years, the catalogue in place when they return is the one they must follow; and c) a student may always choose to follow a later catalogue year (they may not choose an earlier one). It is very important to consult with an academic advisor to determine how a new catalogue may impact specific course prerequisites, transfer requirements, and other important academic requirements.
CertificationsCertification is a credential granted by an external organization or company confirming that an individual has specific skills in a certain area. Certification is often awarded as a result of testing. In some cases, some combination of experience, instruction, and testing may also be required. Certification is different than licensing in that a license is almost always granted by a local, state, and/or federal government agency, while certification is granted by companies and organizations. HCC has several programs that lead to certification. For example, various computer support technology and network administration programs prepare students for industry certification exams such as the CompTIA i-Net+, the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS), and others.
Certificates of ProficiencyAvailable in selected career programs and requiring specific career courses. Certificates involve fewer requirements than degree programs.
Change of Information FormUsed to officially change a student's name, address, phone number, social security number, email, or emergency contacts. Documentation may be required as verification of change. Download this form at:
Change of Learning Program FormUsed to officially change a student's learning program/major or program option. Must be signed by an advisor. Download this form at:
College-Level CoursesThese courses may count toward degree requirements at Howard Community College and may generally be used as transfer credits to other colleges and universities. They are numbered 100 and above.
CommencementCommencement is the ceremony marking graduation. Students may be awarded diplomas following the fall, spring, and summer terms. HCC's commencement ceremony takes place in May, immediately following the end of the spring semester.
Competitive AdmissionsUsed for HCC's Accelerated Nursing program.  Students must meet baseline criteria for inclusion in the pool of qualified candidates.  Applicants are compared to one another and offered admission on the basis of their qualifications, and other factors.
Consolidated FeeThe consolidated fee helps pay the general costs of technology, facilities, instructional materials, and student activities. All credit students pay a consolidated fee, which is currently assessed at 1 percent of in-county tuition (regardless of the tuition rate a student is charged).
Co-requisiteA co-requisite is a course that must be taken with or before enrolling in another course. e.g.: FYEX-100 First Year Experience must be taken with or before ENGL 096, Fundamentals of Academic Reading.
Cost of Attendance (COA)

The total cost of college for the academic year including tuition, fees, books, supplies, transportation, room and board, and miscellaneous expenses. COA is sometimes referred to as the budget.

Course CodesCourse codes are alphabetic abbreviations for the subject areas; for example, the course code for English is ENGL, the code for Biology is BIOL, and so on. A full listing of course codes is available in the catalogue.
Course FeeCourse fees are charged for some courses to cover the specific costs of their required instructional materials and supplies. Course fees vary.
Course NumberA three-digit number that identifies a specific course within each subject. e.g.: English classes may be numbered ENGL-121, ENGL-201, etc.
Credit/Semester HourA credit (sometimes called a semester hour) is a unit of measurement applied to college coursework. One credit equals approximately one hour of classroom instruction per week. Most college courses are three credits. Credits are also used to calculate tuition and are a factor in a student's grade point average (GPA).
Course Load"See Credit Load"
Credit LoadA credit load represents the number of credit hours a student has registered for in a given semester. It is generally recommended that a first-semester student take a maximum of 12-15 credits.
Cyber CafeHCC's Cyber Cafe is located in The Cafe' on the Quad. Students can access the Internet free of charge.
DBack to Top
DefaultFailure to repay a loan according to the terms agreed to when the student borrower signed a promissory note. Default also may result from failure to submit requests for deferment or cancellation on time.  The consequences of default are severe.
DefermentAn authorized period of time during which a borrower may postpone federal student loan principal and interest payments. Deferments are available while borrowers are in school at least half time (6 credits or more), enrolled in a graduate fellowship program or rehabilitation training program, and during periods of unemployment or economic hardship. Other deferments may be available depending on when and what you borrowed. Contact your lender for additional details.
DeregistrationThe process the college uses to drop students from classes when they have not paid their bills in full by the required deadline. Students receiving financial aid and/or scholarships or those using the college's payment plan may have a different payment schedule from other students. It is each student's responsibility to determine the schedule that is appropriate for them and pay on time. Contact the Finance Office or Financial Aid Services for further information about paying your bill.
Developmental/College Preparatory CoursesThese courses teach reading, writing, or math skills that prepare students for college-level coursework. They are numbered in the 060s, 070s, 080s, and 090s (e.g., ENGL-096) and are required for students who place into them. The credits earned for these classes count toward a student's GPA (grade point average). They can be covered by financial aid, but are not transferable and do not count toward degree requirements.
Direct LoanWilliam D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program. Loans made through this program are referred to as Direct Loans. Eligible students and parents borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education. Direct Loans include subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans (also known as Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans), Direct PLUS Loans, and Direct Consolidation Loans. You repay these loans directly to the U.S. Department of Education.
DragonThe Dragon is HCC's mascot.
Drop/AddThe process used during the beginning of the semester when students need to alter their class schedules after having been registered. Dropped courses do not appear on a student transcript. Full or partial refunds are available, depending on when in the drop period a student drops the class. (Do not confuse "dropping" a class with "withdrawing" from a class. See "Withdrawal Period.")
Duncan Hall (DH)
English, Languages, and Business Building. The English/World Languages and the Business and Computers division offices are located in the Duncan Hall, along with many high tech labs and classrooms.
EBack to Top
EFCSee Expected Family Contribution
Elective CoursesCourses that a student may choose to take as part of his/her learning program and that count toward graduation requirements.
Electronic RefundDirect deposit of a student’s credit balance resulting from tuition and fees overpayment, financial aid, or loan disbursement into the bank account of student’s choice.
Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

An amount (determined by a formula established by Congress) that indicates how much of your families financial resources should be available to help pay for school. The EFC is used in determining your eligibility for financial aid.

FBack to Top
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The FAFSA is the form used to apply for federal financial aid. English and Spanish versions are available. The FAFSA may be completed online. Students may use, if they desire, computers located in the HCC Financial Aid Services Office (RCF 222) to enter their information and complete the application process. The priority deadline for submitting the FAFSA is March 1 each year.
Freshman Focus

The Freshman Focus Program is for high school seniors who plan to be HCC freshmen.  The program helps you be admitted, advised, and registered prior to the hectic pace of general registration.  One bonus: You're first in line for course selection!  Students who take advantage of this program complete the college registration process prior to high school graduation.

Financial AidScholarships, grants, loans, and work assignments, are various types of financial aid awarded to a student to help pay for all or part of college costs. See Financial Aid Services.
Financial Aid Consortium AgreementsA written agreement between two eligible schools enabling a student to take coursework at a different institution. The underlying assumption of such an agreement is that the ‘home’ school has found HCC’s academic standards to be equivalent to its own, and coursework will be able to be transferred. As a result of this, the home school will pay financial aid for courses taken at HCC.  HCC will only be the ‘host’ school.
Financial Aid ServicesThe HCC office that administers student financial aid services, including federal and state financial aid, scholarships, loans, and work study programs. Contact Financial Aid Services, RCF 222, 443-518-1260, for more information.
ForbearanceTemporary postponement or reduction of student loan payments.  Forbearance also may be an extension of the repayment period. All borrowers are charged interest during forbearance. 
FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)
A federal grant program, officially entitled Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, for students demonstrating exceptional financial need. Certain eligibility criteria apply. Contact Financial Aid Services, RCF 222, 443-518-1260, for more information.
Full TimeEnrollment in 12 or more credits in a major term (fall or spring). Students in selected health career programs, including clinical course work, may be considered full time with fewer credits in some cases.
GBack to Top
GalleriaHCC's Galleria is a large student lounge and activity area located adjacent to the first floors of the Student Activities (SA), Science and Technology (ST), and Clark Library (CL) buildings.
Game RoomHCC's Game Room is located on the first floor of the Student Activities Building adjacent to The Galleria. It is equipped with a wide-screen TV, tennis, and pool tables, air hockey, computerized games, and other recreational equipment and materials.
General Education CoreCore courses are those courses required of all students pursuing a college degree. They include courses in composition, literature, arts, humanities, mathematics, science, history, social sciences, and interdisciplinary and emerging issues. Students completing the associate of arts degree must complete at least 30 core credits; students completing the associate of applied science degree must complete at least 20 core credits; students completing the A.S.E. degree must complete at least 30 core credits.
General Education Development (GED) CertificateThis is a certificate students receive if they’ve passed a specific, approved high school equivalency test. Students who have a GED may still qualify for federal student aid. 
Grade Point Average (GPA)Also referred to as Quality Point Average (QPA). The QPA is the ratio of grade points earned to the number of credit hours attempted. Grades of A, B, C, D, and F are part of the GPA calculation. To compute the GPA, add all the grade points earned and divide this sum by the number of semester hours attempted.
Grade PointsAlso referred to as quality points. The numerical value of a grade multiplied by the credit hours for a course. (A=4 pts.; B=3 pts.; C=2 pts.; D=1 pt.). EX: A student earning an A (4 points/credit) in a 3 credit course will earn 12 grade points.
Graduation PetitionPetitioning to graduate is a formal process for all students planning to receive a certificate or degree. Students must complete a graduation petition form and meet with an academic advisor, who will conduct the initial evaluation of their academic record. If the student has completed all certificate or degree requirements or will do so during the term this review is conducted, the advisor will sign the petition. Deadlines for submitting graduation petitions are: March 15 for May graduation; April 15 for Summer graduation; and October 15 for December graduation. (Please note that commencement ceremonies are conducted in May only.) For more information regarding graduation requirements, please consult the college's catalogue.
GrantA grant is considered financial aid that you do not have to pay back, and is given to students who have financial need.
HBack to Top
HCCHCC is a frequently used abbreviation for Howard Community College.
HCC ExpressHCC's online credit registration system. HCC Express enables students to check course availability, register for credit classes, view their schedule, and pay their bills online. It also gives students access to their grades, unofficial transcripts, enrollment verification, academic standing and financial aid status. The course availability feature may be accessed by anyone; all other features require a login ID and personal identification number (PIN). To find out more, go to HCC Express.
Health Manpower Shortage ProgramThe State of Maryland has designated certain health career learning programs as health manpower shortage programs (HMSP) to address critical workforce shortages. All legal residents of Maryland (including active-duty military and their dependents) may enroll in these programs at the in-county tuition rate. HCC's HMSPs are Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Cardiovascular Technology and Emergency Medical Services. The HMSP provides a tuition benefit only. Howard County residents continue to have priority admission for clinical coursework. (Tuition benefits are also available to out-of-state residents for the nursing program only with additional conditions.) See Health Career Admissions.
Help DeskThe Help Desk provides a single point of contact for students, faculty, and staff to get timely help with their technology needs.  We offer friendly and efficient support via telephone, email, and the web for problems and questions about HCC Express, CE6, HCC email, and software and hardware issues. To contact them, dial 443-518-4444 or 4444 anywhere on campus using a campus phone or e-mail them at
Higher OneA financial services company focused solely on higher education that HCC has partnered with to provide electronic refund services to credit and certain noncredit students. Please visit the Refunds page for more details.
HVPAPeter and Elizabeth Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center
Hybrid CourseA Hybrid Course is a form of online course that combines online and on-campus classroom instruction. It is particularly recommended for students who are taking an online class for the first time and for those who like the convenience of an online course, but enjoy the dynamics of classroom instruction.
IBack to Top
Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR)This is an electronic version of your Student Aid Report (SAR).  The ISIR lets HCC know what information was put on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
JBack to Top
James W. Rouse Scholars Program

The nationally acclaimed James W. Rouse Scholars Program is a selective challenging honors and leadership program designed for transfer to distinguished four-year colleges and universities at the end of the sophomore year. Rouse Scholars receive challenging honors coursework, development of leadership skills, projects involving community mentors, cultural and recreational activities, and international travel opportunities.  This is a selective program for incoming freshman applying in their senior year.

KBack to Top
Kids On Campus (KOC)Kids on Campus is enrichment education for youth off ages 7-17. No grades, no tests...just learning and fun!
LBack to Top
LACLearning Assistance Center. The LAC provides tutoring and other types of academic support services to all students enrolled in credit courses. It is located on the second floor of the Learning Resources Center Building in Room RCF-340. Call 443-518-4822 (V/TDD) for further information.
Laurel College Center (LCC)The Laurel College Center is an innovative partnership of two colleges: HCC and Prince George's Community College. Its purpose is to make higher education more accessible to people who live or work in the Laurel area. It is located in downtown Laurel on 312 Marshall Avenue, directly off of Route 1. More information about the LCC is available at and by calling the LCC's toll-free number at 1-866-228-6110.
Learning Program/MajorA planned series of courses aimed at an academic and/or career goal resulting in a certificate, A.A., or A.A.S. degree.
Letter of RecognitionAvailable in selected career programs and requiring fewer specialized courses than a certificate of proficiency. Students should submit applications for Letters of Recognition to the appropriate academic division.
Login IDYour Login ID is a combination of the first letter of your first name, your last name (up to 7 letters) and the last four digits of your Student ID.  For example, if your name is Jeremy Wintergreen and your Student ID is 0012345, your Login ID would be jwinterg2345.  Note: If you have any non-alphabetic characters in your last name do not count them as characters. Your Login ID is used to access HCC's network resources and your HCC Express account.  You cannot change your Login ID.
MBack to Top
Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC)MHEC is the state of Maryland's higher education coordinating board responsible for establishing statewide policies for Maryland public and private colleges and universities and for-profit career schools. MHEC also administers state financial aid programs that affect students on a statewide basis.
NBack to Top

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

NSLDS is our database for federal student financial aid where you can find out about the aid you’ve received. By using your PIN, you can get information on federal loan and Pell Grant amounts, outstanding balances, the status of your loans and disbursements made. You can access NSLDS at

New Student OrientationNew Student Orientation (NSO) is a program offered prior to the upcoming fall or spring semester to prepare new students for college success. Information is provided about academic policies and procedures, services, and campus life. Some campus programs offer specialized orientation sessions for their students in addition to the main NSO program. For more information about NSO or to sign up to attend, contact the Office of Student Life.
NJCAAThe National Junior College Athletic Association. NJCAA is the national governing body for two-year college athletic programs. HCC is a member of NJCAA and follows its rules.
OBack to Top
Official TranscriptA printed record of a student's academic history, issued by the Office of Records and Registration, that is stamped and/or marked "Official" and is enclosed in a sealed envelope marked "Unofficial if Opened". Request a transcript at or download an official transcript request form 
PBack to Top
Part-TimeEnrollment in fewer than 12 credits in a major term (Fall or Spring).
PasswordThe password is used to access HCC network resources and HCC Express. Your first password is your birthday, mmddyy. The first time you access any HCC resources you will be required to change your password to your own unique password. The college has no record of what your password is. Should you forget your password, contact the HCC HelpDesk to have them reset your password. 
Pell GrantNeed-based grants to eligible undergraduate students to promote access to postsecondary education.
Petitioning to GraduatePlease see Graduation Petition.
Phi Theta KappaPhi Theta Kappa is the national two-year college honor society. HCC's chapter of Phi Theta Kappa is Alpha Alpha Sigma. To be invited to join students must accumulate at least 12 credits in 100- and 200-level courses during a Fall or Spring semester and have at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average with no F, L, or W grades. Phi Theta Kappa scholarships are available at HCC and at many transfer institutions (specific criteria are involved; contact Financial Aid Services or the Transfer Center).
Placement TestsThese are computerized English and math tests that assess students' skills and place them into developmental or college-level courses. Their purpose is to ensure that students are equipped with the best possible skills for academic success. Test exemption may be possible based upon prior college level coursework or specific SAT, ACT, AP, IB or CLEP scores.
Portfolio AssessmentPortfolio Assessment is a process that enables students to effectively document prior non-traditional learning acquired through employment, self-study, volunteer work, civic activities, etc. in order to demonstrate that they have acquired college-level skills directly related to courses in their learning program. It is possible for students to earn up to 15 credits through portfolio assessment. Interested students should consult with an advisor for more information.
Pre-Professional ProgramsPre-professional programs differ from Allied Health programs.  Pre-professional programs prepare students for transfer to bachelor's degree programs, and in many cases the career fields require master's or doctorate-level work (e.g., medicine, pharmacy, etc.).
PrerequisiteA course required before enrolling in another course. e.g., MATH 181 - Calculus I required prior to enrolling in Calculus II.
QBack to Top
Quality PointsSee Grade Points.
Quality Point AverageSee Grade Point Average.
RBack to Top
RefundA refund is generated when a student has a credit on their account. This may be due to financial aid, class cancellation, or a class drop. Please refer to the college catalogue for specific refund policies as they may vary depending on the type of refund, established deadlines, or other factors.  Please visit the Refunds page for more information.
Required CoursesCourses that are needed to complete a student's learning program.
RCFRouse Company Foundation Student Services Building
SBack to Top
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

At the end of the fall and winter/spring semesters, students' records of courses, credits, and grades are reviewed based on the MINIMUM standards for satisfactory performance. These are:

  • a minimum semester grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; and
  • successful completion of at least 50% of the credits attempted each semester.

To be eligible to receive federal student financial aid, you must meet and maintain these standards of satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate offered by HCC.

Schedule of ClassesThe schedule of classes lists all the classes being offered during a specific term (semester). Courses are listed in alphabetical and numerical order. Days and times of each courses' sections are listed. The credit schedule of classes is printed three times per year and the non-credit schedule is printed four times per year. These schedules are mailed to most county residents. The HCC Express Course Availability feature has the most up to date listing of open credit classes.
Schoenbrodt Honors Program

The Frederick K. Schoenbrodt Honors Program offers flexible opportunities to take stimulating honors classes in a variety of subject areas.  It is open to both full and part-time students of all ages.  The admissions process for this program is in addition to those for the Freshman Focus Program, the Silas Craft Collegians Program, or the Early Entrance Program. See catalog for details.


A scholarship is considered financial aid that you do not have to pay back, and is usually given to students who have financial need, are recognized for academic achievements or other talents, and/or who are preparing for certain career fields. Each scholarship has different requirements. It is important to read the scholarship criteria required to be considered and/or maintain the scholarship.  Scholarships are available through Howard Community College, the Maryland Higher Education Commission and private outside sources.

Section NumberA number or letter-number combination used to identify each section offered for a specific course. e.g., ENGL-121 is the course and 113 is a section of the course. Section sometimes indicates if the course is taught online, as a telecourse, etc. e.g., ENGL-121-N191 is a section taught online; N designates online.
Selective Admissions

Used for HCC's Cardiovascular Technology, Traditional Nursing, Licensed Practical Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Schoenbrodt Honors, and Rouse Scholars programs. Students must meet baseline criteria for inclusion in the pool of qualified candidates.  Students are evaluated based on the baseline criteria, not against one another. 

SemesterSemester is a term of study. In addition to two 14 week semesters each year(fall and spring), Howard Community College offers four summer terms (5 - 8 weeks long) and a winter session (4 weeks long).
Semester HoursSee credit hours.
SGA (Student Government Association)
Student Government Association. The SGA is the official voice of HCC's student body and enables students to be involved in the development and administration of college policies. In cooperation with the Office of Student Life, the SGA is also responsible for designating funds for student clubs and organizations. It assists in selecting specific themes and issues for programs brought to the college by the student body. SGA members also represents students on various college and statewide committees.
Silas Craft Collegians ProgramThe Silas Craft Collegians Program is a comprehensive academic program that provides a learning community with all the necessary ingredients for success—skills assessment and development, tutoring, advising, peer support, extracurricular experiences, and more. The program prepares students for transfer to four-year colleges. High school seniors may also apply for this program.
SPB (Student Programming Board)
Student Programming Board. The SPB selects, plans and implements social and educational activities for HCC's students.
Student LoansSee FFEL
Subject CodeThe four-letter abbreviation used to identify a particular subject. e.g., CMSY for Computer Systems or BIOL for Biology. The subject appears before the course number. e.g., BIOL-101
SyllabusA summary or outline of specific course objectives, assignments, and the grading formula which is distributed in each class at the beginning of the semester.
TBack to Top

Telecommunications Device for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired.
TTY users call MD Relay 7-1-1

The TimesThe Times is HCC's student newspaper.
TranscriptA copy of a student's academic record. Official copies may be obtained from the Office of Records, Registration & Veterans’ Affairs or from Students may print unofficial copies from HCC Express.
Transfer CreditCoursework completed at another accredited college that is similar in nature, content and level of instruction to courses at HCC and applies to the student's learning program. Courses will be evaluated for transfer if an official transcript is submitted to the Office of Admissions and Advising with a completed Transcript Evaluation Request Form and the appropriate fee.
Transfer ProgramsPrograms of study (majors) designed for transfer to other colleges and universities to complete degree programs. It is important for students who select transfer programs to work closely with academic advisors. Students planning to transfer to a Maryland public (and some private) college or university should work with the computer program, ARTSYS, while taking courses at Howard Community College to ensure programs will transfer.
TuitionTuition is the cost of class instruction. It is charged by credit hour for credit classes. There are 3 tuition rates: in-county; in-state; out-of-state. These rates are charged based on a student's legal residence (with certain exceptions provided by law). At HCC, the maximum number of credits a student must pay for each term is 15 even if they are taking more than 15 credits.
Tuition WaiverRefers to any programs designed by various sources that waive tuition and/or fees under certain criteria for students. Each waiver program has its own set of criteria and requirements for students to participate.
UBack to Top
Unofficial TranscriptA printed record of a student's academic history that contains all courses both past and current, but is not stamped and/or marked "Official" and is not enclosed in a sealed envelope marked "Unofficial if Opened". It may be obtained by using HCC Express.
VBack to Top
VerificationA review process to verify the accuracy of the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
WBack to Top
Withdrawal PeriodPeriod of time after the Drop/Add period, but well into the semester, when a student may withdraw from a class. A grade of W will appear on his/her transcript. Refunds are not available. Refer to the Schedule of Classes each semester for the first and last day to withdraw. Withdraw dates will differ for classes that meet less than the entire semester. (Do not confuse withdrawing from a class with dropping. See Drop/Add.)

A financial aid program that offers eligible students the opportunity to work flexible part-time jobs on campus (see Work-Study Job Board) throughout the academic year. Certain eligibility criteria apply. See Financial Aid Services for specific details.

XBack to Top
YBack to Top
ZBack to Top

Contact us!
Office of Admissions and Advising
Howard Community College — RCF-242
Phone: 443-518-1200
Fax: 443-518-4589

TTY/STS use MD Relay