Prepare for Success
Follow these steps for a smooth pathway to success.
Whether you are a new or returning student, you can succeed at HCC by planning ahead. Get advised, and prepare for your classes.
Plan Your Schedule
Planning a class schedule involves much more than taking a particular course at a particular time. Be Wise — Get Advised. Meet with your advisor at least once per term and more often, if needed. Together, you will consider the following:
- Your learning style
- Your learning program and related course requirements
- Your transfer and/or career goals
- Your timetable for completing your HCC studies
- Your day to day schedule, including commuting time, extracurricular activities, work schedule, and family obligations.
In addition, be sure to look at course information for availability, format, location, class size, and instructor to find the course right for you.
Prepare for Class
If you are a new student, you should definitely plan to attend New Student Orientation before classes begin. Day and evening sessions are available for the fall and the spring terms. In addition, be sure to familiarize yourself with the campus map and plan your route to and from the college.
All students should:
- Obtain or update a student ID card at the Public Safety Office.
- Obtain a parking permit from Public Safety.
- Familiarize yourself with important campus dates and deadlines.
- Purchase books and supplies online or at the bookstore (unless told otherwise for certain classes).
- Arrange needed services.
- Allow plenty of time to commute, park and arrive at class on time!
Think about how you will use your time before, between and after class. Check out the library, the Learning Assistance Center, the student game room, the Wellness Center, the Cafe on the Quad and the coffee shop. Consider joining a club or an athletics team (Go Dragons!). Prepare yourself to take full advantage of your studies and campus life.