Apply for Admission
HCC provides high-quality, affordable education for a variety of students with a broad range of academic goals. Whether you're seeking a degree, a transfer program or workplace credentials, HCC has what you need.
If you’re interested in enhancing job skills or exploring a personal interest, sign up instead for one of our noncredit courses. Either way, we’ll help you get there.
Click one of our tabs below to get started in your credit admissions process.*
Current & Graduating High School Students
HCC offers a broad range of educational pathways to get you to your goal, whether it is earning an associate degree, transferring to a four-year university, or learning the skills necessary to head to work. We have several programs designed specifically for current or graduating high school students, and we encourage you to explore and find the right one for you.
Freshman Focus Program: HCC's open entry program for graduating high school seniors. If you participate, you will receive early testing, advising, and registration dates to help you finish the enrollment process before graduating from high school.
Honors Programs: The James W. Rouse Scholars, Frederick K. Schoenbrodt Honors Program and STEM Scholars are selective academic programs for graduating high school seniors. All programs offer a supportive environment with mentoring, professional development and service learning.
Silas Craft Collegians Program: A selective program for highly motivated students whose past academic history does not reflect full potential.
Early Entrance Program (Dual and concurrent enrollment): Designed for high school students who want to enroll in HCC courses while still in high school.
STARTALK Summer Language Program: An intensive summer language program for high school students from ninth grade to graduating seniors who are interested in learning critical need languages. The program is a selective admissions program for students interested in studying Arabic or Mandarin Chinese.
Veterans & Military Community
We are proud to support active duty military personnel and families, members of the Maryland National Guard, reservists and veterans as you work toward your educational goals. As a Military Friendly® School, we offer the following benefits:
- Waived application and transcript evaluation fees
- Resident tuition rates where eligible
- Credit awarded for military experience
- Deferred payment plan for GI Bill® and tuition assistance recipients
- Dedicated military and veteran student lounge
- Refunds for military who receive orders to deploy during the academic term
Howard Community College is smart choice for your college courses and English language learning - a quality education built on value. We offer programs and courses for in-demand careers on a campus that's exactly what you'd expect at a U.S college - green open spaces that invite students to stay and study.
Thousands of students from Maryland, the US, and around the world choose HCC to help them achieve their educational goals.
If you are ready to start our admissions process, click below for information on how to apply.
- Overseas students applying from home country
- Students already in the U.S. transferring from other institutions
- Students already in the U.S. changing their visa status
- Students changing level from HCC's English Institute to HCC's Associate Degree Program
- Other visa statuses for credit-degree study
- English language training (English Institute)
Nursing & Allied Health
Supporting the health of our community. We understand it is your passion and a career choice, so we're here to help you get there. We offer associate degree and certificate programs in over a dozen in-demand allied health fields. Each program has its own requirements for admission, but the first step is to apply to HCC.
After you apply, find out the distinct admissions requirements of your particular field of interest. Admission to the clinical component of allied health programs requires the successful completion of certain prerequisite courses. Always check first with an allied health advisor before taking a course elsewhere because it may not transfer to HCC.
In addition to meeting prerequisites, a drug screening and criminal background check will be required prior to enrollment in any nursing and allied health clinical course in order to ensure the safety of patients in the clinical setting. Learn more on our nursing and allied health admissions page.
Transferring to HCC
We recognize that you may have attended college before, received training from trade school or the military, or even participated in standardized testing such as AP and IB. That's why we strongly recommend that you have your prior course work evaluated in order to transfer credit to HCC. To make your transfer process as seamless as possible, start by applying to HCC.
Next, fill out our Transcript Request Evaluation Form. Be sure to visit our transcript evaluation page, which has specific guidelines for students who have been in the military, studied at international colleges and universities, or completed certain career academy programs through the Howard County Public School System.
Need more information?
Visiting StudentsStudents Visiting From Another College
If you are a student at another college or university and want to take courses at HCC to transfer back to your home institution, please follow these steps.
- Complete an admissions application. Get started by creating an account.
- Speak to your academic advisor at your home institution to request permission to take a course at HCC. Verify in writing that the course will meet your program requirements and transfer back to your home institution. You are required to meet HCC course prerequisites; submit your official or unofficial transcript, test scores, and/or grade report to the Office of Admissions and Advising.
- Register for classes using Self Service: Student Planning in myHCC. Need help? Review these step by step registration instructions.
- Pay your bill in myHCC
- Select “Student Finance.”
- In “Student Finance,” you can see your balance due, and pay by credit or debit card.
- To sign up for the Tuition Payment Plan, go to the myHCC homepage and select “Sign Up/View My Payment Plan.
We are excited you want to apply for admission to HCC! Before you start your application, be sure to first check our various admissions processes for high school students, international students, veterans and the military community, nursing and allied health students, and transfer students, in case one applies to you.
If you are ready to get started with the general admissions process, we look forward to your application.
There’s no need to apply for noncredit classes. Continuing Education classes are offered throughout the county, on days, evenings, and weekends. There are no grades or exams (except for licensure courses) – just learning and enjoyment.
*A $25 application fee is required, with a waiver available under certain circumstances.
Hi! We would be happy to share more information about our programs.
Please submit the form and we will be in touch shortly!