Skip Navigation
Howard Community CollegeOnline Cataloguehcc catalogue '11-'12
General and Academic InformationPrograms of Study
hcc catalogue '11-'12

Pay for College

Howard Community College is committed to helping students prepare for the cost of their education. Thorough information and proper planning ensure that students understand college costs. It also enables them to take advantage of the many resources available to help them ­manage these costs.
This section of the catalog explains the following about paying for credit courses and programs:
•    what to pay
•    when to pay
•    ways to pay
•    where to pay
•    payment and refund policies
•    other policies and procedures related to costs and payment
•    financial literacy

Detailed information about finan­cial aid and scholarships immediately follows this section. Payment information related to noncredit courses is available in the noncredit schedule of classes, at, or by contacting the Office of Continuing Education and Workforce Development (443-518-1700; HR-100).

Payment is that all-important step that finalizes each student’s enrollment. Students are responsible for paying their bills. They are also responsible for fulfilling their financial obligations according to official dates and deadlines and/or related college policies and procedures. If for any reason, a parent, guardian, employer, sponsor or other source fails to honor their financial commitment on behalf of the student, the student will be held responsible for the financial obligations to the college and any related charges incurred.

WHAT TO PAY–Tuition, Fees and other Costs
Costs assessed by the college include tuition, a consolidated fee, course-related fees, and other fees. These costs are explained below. The amount each student pays per semester depends on how many and which classes they take, the tuition rate they are charged based upon legal residence (see page 3), the use of certain services, and other factors as described below. Enrollment costs and other costs are subject to change.

The cost per credit hour varies based on legal residency (see page 3 for information about legal residency). Students do not pay for more than 15 credit hours of tuition per term even if they are enrolled for more credits. Tuition rates are:

Per Credit HourMaximum Per Semester
Howard County Resident 
Maryland Resident-Other County$208
Out of State Resident 

*All tuition and fees are subject to change. For current charges, visit

The rates that international citizens pay are based upon their ability to estalish legal residence/domicile. (see page 20). Tuition is waived for Maryland residents who are senior citizens 60 years of age or over. A tuition waiver is also available to retirees and people with disabilities under very specific conditions and who are Maryland residents. In accordance with Maryland state law, all active duty military personnel and their dependents are eligible to pay in-state tuition regardless of legal residence in another state as long as they reside in Maryland while enrolled. Active duty personnel and their dependents residing in Howard County are eligible to pay in-county ­tuition. Out of state and out of county tuition requirements may be waived, in accordance with state law, for individuals and their dependents relocating to Maryland due to the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) initiative. (See page 27). Certain tuition discounts apply for members of the Maryland National Guard (see page 26). Legal residents of Maryland (and qualified out of state residents under very specific circumstances) enrolled in the college’s Health Personnel Shortage Incentive Grant Programs, Mid-Maryland Allied Healthcare (MMAHCEC) and Statewide Instructional Programs as degree-seeking students are entitiled to in-county rates for clinical coursework under specific conditions. Legal residents of Prince Georges County are entitled to in-county tuition benefits when enrolled in HCC courses at the Laurel College Center.


Application Fees
The application fee for initial admission to the college is a one-time fee. Students who are readmitted to the college following a period of absence do not pay another admissions application fee. The application fee is waived for some applicants, including active duty military, veterans, Early Entrance Program and Freshman Focus Program applicants, and Rouse Scholars applicants who are Maryland Distinguished Scholars, National Merit Scholars. HCC participates in the SAT, ACT and College Board application fee waiver program for high school students with demonstrated financial need. Application fees include:

Standard Application Fee    $25
Rouse Scholars Program Application Fee*    $35
Silas Craft Collegians Program Application Fee*    $25
International (F1) Student Application Fee**    $50
STARTALK Application Fee***    $50
Supplemental Application Fee for Admission to the Clinical Portion of Allied Health Programs (Nursing, Physical Therapy Assistant, Medical Laboratory Technician, Cardiovascular Technology, and Radiologic Technology)****    $25

***Students pay this fee instead of the standard application fee.
***Application fees and payments may vary for special college programs.
 ***Grant funded program; application fee waived for financial need.
 ****Students pay this fee in addition to the standard application fee when applying for admission to the clinical portion of these programs. RENEW students are exempt from this fee.

These and other fees are listed in the catalog and website Pay for College section and in myHCC.

Consolidated Fee
The consolidated fee helps cover the cost of facilities, student activities, technology, certain instructional expenses, and the college’s general expenses.  All students, including senior citizens and others eligible for tuition waivers, pay this fee. This fee is assessed at 16.75% of the in-county tuition per credit up to 15 credits.  For example, if a student is enrolled in 16 or more credits for a particular term, their consolidated fee is assessed only for 15 credits at the rate of 16.75% of in-county tuition per credit.  If students are enrolled in less than 15 credits for a particular term, their consolidated fee is assessed at 16.75% per credit for the precise number of credits they are taking.  The consolidated fee is assessed at the in-county rate for all students regardless of the tuition rate they must pay.
The consolidated fee is allocated as follows:
20% Technology
6% Instructional Materials
31% Student Activity Fees
43% Building Fund

Tuition and consolidated fee charts can be found in the college’s schedule of classes every semester and also on the pay for college webpage at

Course-Related Fees
Many classes have fees. These vary based on the course, related activities and materials involved. Fees are listed along with course descriptions in the schedule of classes, which is published several times during the year.

Other College Fees
The college charges fees to cover costs of specific services as follows:

Transcript Evaluation
Single learning program    $15
Multiple learning programs    $25
Proficiency exam     50% of course tuition (no fees)
Nursing admissions assessment     $65
HESI LPN-RN Mobility Exam    $65
*All fees are subject to change.

The college also assesses certain fines:

Student ID card: Late purchase or replacement    $5
Library fine (overdue reserved materials per item per day)    $.50
Traffic violations    $50
Smoking violation    $50
Insufficient funds check service charge    $25
Collection costs  (added to balance)    25% of balance
*Fines are subject to change.

Other Costs*
Students are strongly urged to consider other expenses related to their education when budgeting for college. Students who utilize the college’s Nelnet Tuition Payment Plan do not pay interest, but do pay a $25 processing charge to Nelnet each term they use this service. Though the costs of books vary based upon courses and whether students purchase new or used books, it is estimated that full-time students will pay approximately $1,800 per year (two major terms) for textbooks and supplies. Students should estimate the cost of transportation to and from the college, day care, food, recreational activities and other costs related to attending college. Costs vary by individual; all students are strongly encouraged to read the rest of this catalog section, and consult the college web site ( to learn about the various resources available to them to help with the direct and indirect costs of attendance. HCC’s college cost calculators are available on the same website.

*Costs are subject to change at any time in any given academic year.

WHEN TO PAY–Payments, Refunds and Deadlines
Tuition and fees must be paid according to scheduled payment dates. These dates are listed in the schedule of classes and online (

Students can view the amount of their bills on myHCC, or on their registration statement (obtain a copy in person from the Cashier or the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs). Students are responsible for the following policies regarding payments:

•    Responsible Party–Students are the responsible party when it comes to their bills and eligibility for refunds. If, for any reason, a parent, guardian, employer, sponsor or other party fails to pay or does not honor the check, credit card payment, or purchase order, or otherwise fails to meet a financial obligation to the college on behalf of a student, the student will be held responsible for those financial obligations.

•    Tuition, fees and other payments made by an insufficient funds check may result in cancellation of classes during the registration period as well as a $25 insufficient funds check fee.

•    Outstanding Balance–Students are responsible for any outstanding balance not covered by financial aid, scholarships, loans or other means. Any balance must be paid by payment deadlines or by using the appropriate payment plan (i.e., Tuition Payment Plan, Veterans Deferred Payment Plan). You may pay the balance you are responsible for through one of the following methods:
–In person at the Cashier’s Office (RCF-212)–The Cashier’s Office accepts all forms of payment. This office also has a drop box where students can submit credit card, check or money order payments.
–Online–Pay online using myHCC (credit card only)
–By Mail–Mail payments made by credit card, check, or money order should be sent to the following mailing address: Cashier’s Office, Howard Community College, 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, MD 21044.

•    Officially dropping classes–Students are responsible for officially dropping classes they have decided not to take. While the college may drop students who have not paid their tuition, this is not intended to replace the student-initiated official drop process. Students who rely upon the college to drop them for nonpayment, do so at their own risk. Stopping payment, credit card charges or using other such means does not invalidate the financial obligation owed to the college for unpaid balances. An official drop within the refund period is a student’s only assurance of release from some or all of the financial obligation incurred by registering.

•    Failure to attend–Students who register but never attend a class or classes remain responsible for their financial obligations for the seats taken by registering. Likewise, students who stop attending, including those who officially withdraw, will be held responsible for any remaining balance owed to the college. While the college may drop students who never attend, this is not intended to replace the official drop process. Students who rely on the college to drop them for nonattendance, do so at their own risk.

•    Financial Aid–Financial aid policies and procedures are described in detail on pages 29-34. Changes to a course load (dropping, adding, withdrawals, non-attendance, unofficial withdrawals, etc.) can have a significant impact on a student’s financial aid award(s). Applicants and recip­ients of federal, state, and institutional awards are obligated to carefully read and review the catalog’s financial aid section. Once a student’s financial aid has been awarded, it is essential they consult Financial Aid Services regarding any changes in enrollment status.
Students are strongly urged to keep receipts of all registration and payment transactions.  Financial aid recipients should also keep bookstore receipts.  The consequences of not fulfilling financial obligations to the college include, but are not limited to, sending the student’s account to collections, withholding college transcripts, diplomas and other earned awards, and denial of enrollment for subsequent semesters.

Student eligibility for tuition and fee refunds and the refund percentage are based upon established dates and deadlines each term. These are publicized in the appropriate term’s schedule of classes publication and on the college’s web site (

•    Cancelled classes–A refund will automatically be processed for students who have paid for a cancelled class. If a student registers for another class to replace the cancelled class prior to the processing of the refund, the student’s balance will be applied toward payment of the added class. Any remaining balance will be refunded; likewise, the student will be billed for any additional charges.

•    Officially dropping classes–As stated above, students are responsible for officially dropping classes in order to avoid tuition and fee charges and receive the appropriate refund. Students who never attend or initially attend, but stop, are responsible for course costs unless they have officially dropped within the official refund period. The refund percentage is dependent upon when in the refund period the official drop occurred.

•    Fall and spring semesters (15 week semesters)–During 15 week classes, students are eligible for refunds as follows:
–100% refund eligibility–A 100% refund of tuition, the consolidated fee and course fees is issued to students who officially drop classes by the end of the first week of classes. (This does not include the application fee.)
–75% refund eligibility–A 75% refund of tuition and the consolidated fee only (no course fees) is issued to students who officially drop classes by the end of the second week of classes.
–50% refund–A 50% refund of tuition and the consolidated fee only (no course fees) is issued to students who officially drop classes by the end of the third week of classes.

After the end of the third week of fall and spring 15 week classes, students are not eligible for refunds. The timing of refunds is shorter for classes that meet less than 15 weeks.
•    Summer, Winter and Variable Time Sessions–During these shorter terms, students are eligible for refunds only during the first few days of the session. Students are eligible for 100%, 75% or 50% refunds according to the refund schedule published for these sessions in the appropriate schedule of classes and online (

•    Deployed Military–Members of the military, including active-duty military, reservists, and national guardsmen, who receive orders to deploy during an academic term, are eligible to receive 100% tuition, fees, and book refunds or request an incomplete grade. Specific procedures must be followed. More information is available by contacting the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs. Students receiving financial aid or scholarships should contact Financial Aid Services.

•    Emergency Workers–Emergency workers undergoing a change in assignment, hours or location as a result of a national emergency are eligible to receive 100 percent tuition, fees, and book refunds or request an incomplete grade. More information is available contacting the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs. Students receiving financial aid or scholarships should contact Financial Aid Services.

Refund method–The college has partnered with Higher One, a financial services company focused solely on higher education, to provide electronic refund services to students. Financial aid and tuition refunds are disbursed to credit and certain noncredit students via the refund choice selected by students. Students should visit to choose their preferred method of refund delivery using the information included with the HCC Connect card they will receive in the mail. This electronic refund service provides students with faster access to their refunds as well as more control over how and where their refunds are delivered. For more information on this refund service, please visit, email, call 443-518-1862, or stop by the Finance Office (RCF-201) or the Cashier’s Office (RCF-212).

Collection Procedures
The college makes every effort to contact students with outstanding balances. However, if these attempts are unsuccessful, accounts are turned over to a collection agency and an additional charge of 25% of the outstanding balance is added to student accounts. Official transcripts and diplomas, and the ability to register for subsequent terms will also be withheld for students with outstanding balances until accounts are paid in full.

Once accounts are placed in collections, students have the option of paying HCC directly rather than the collection agency. Either way, students remain responsible for full payment of outstanding balances and collection costs. Holds on student accounts are removed immediately upon full payment by cash, credit card or money order. Holds will not be released for ten business days for accounts paid in full by personal check.

Ways to Pay–Payment Methods and Payment Assistance

Payment Methods
Students may pay their bills by cash, check, money order or credit card. The college accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, UnionPay, and Discover cards. The most convenient way to pay is by credit card online via myHCC. Students making cash payments are strongly urged to do so in person at the Cashier’s Office (RCF-213). Payment by check, money order, or credit card can be made by mail, in person at the Cashier’s Office, or by placing the payment in the Cashier’s drop box.
Payment Assistance
Students are strongly encouraged to learn more about the many forms of payment assistance available.

Financial Aid and Scholarships
•    Federal and State Financial Aid–The U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) assists millions of qualified students each year with grants, low interest loans, and work-study programs. The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) Office of Student Financial Assistance awards millions of dollars of financial assistance in the form of grants and scholarships for Maryland residents. See pages 31-32 for more details about federal and state financial aid.

•    Scholarships–Scholarships are available from a wide variety of sources for a broad range of students. The major sources of scholarships are HCC institutional funds, the Howard Community College Educational Foundation, and/or indivdual, business or government sources. Students are also encouraged to consider various external scholarships to assist with their academic expenses at HCC.

Some scholarships may be based on ­financial need while others may require a form of merit or other criteria, including learning program, grade point average, a special talent or achievement, or even types of participation, such as community service. There are scholarships associated with various programs, such as the Silas Craft Collegians Program, Freshman Focus, Rouse Scholars Program or the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) learning community. Scholarships are also available for students interested in studying or traveling abroad. Scholarships have different requirements and, in some cases, different or additional application procedures. Some are awarded on a one-time basis, others are renewable, and still others require students to maintain a certain grade point average for renewal and/or fulfill other obligations, such as a service requirement. Students planning to transfer may be interested in transfer scholarships awarded by the state, transfer institutions, the community college honor society Phi Theta Kappa, and other sources.

Students are strongly advised to learn more, complete all required steps accurately and completely and meet required deadlines. More information is available on pages 29-34, and online (including the HCC scholarship application; Students may also contact Financial Aid Services (RCF-222; 443-518-1260).

Payment Plans
•    Tuition Payment Plan–Howard Community College offers a flexible payment plan. This plan is administered by an outside company called Nelnet Business Solutions. The tuition payment plan enables students to spread tuition payments over a period of time with interest-free monthly installments. Students may use the plan to pay for their costs in full. Students receiving financial aid, scholarships or other forms of assistance to pay for college can also use the plan to pay for any remaining balances. The plan’s enrollment dates and plan duration are different for each term. The plan participation fee is $25 for each term. Students enroll in the plan by going to Nelnet uses direct debits from your bank account (checking/saving) or credit card account (Master Card, Visa, American Express, Discover and UnionPay) to make monthly payments on your behalf. More information, including a brochure, is available at, or by contacting the Cashier’s Office (RCF-212, 443-518-1863).

•    Veterans’ Deferred Payment Plan–Veterans and dependents of veterans who are using a qualified VA educational benefit can make special financial arrangements through HCC’s Veterans’ Deferred Payment Plan (VDPP). This is an in-house program that differs from the college’s Tuition Payment Plan. The VDPP allows tuition and fee payments for the fall and winter/spring terms to be deferred until students begin receiving their VA benefits. The VDPP is also available in the summer for Post 9-11 benefit recipients. Final balances for a given term must be resolved by November 1 during the fall and April 1 during the winter/spring. Students who have not resolved their financial obligations by those dates will not be eligible to register for subsequent academic terms.  For more information, contact the Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs (RCF-239; 443-518-4514;

Military Assistance and National Guard Discounts
•    Active Duty Military–Active duty military planning to use military tuition assistance (TA) should contact the Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs and obtain a tuition assistance form through the appropriate military officials or military education websites.
•    Maryland ­National Guard–Active members of the Maryland National Guard are entitled to tuition discounts for credit courses based on their legal residency as follows:
•    Howard County residents: 50 percent tuition discount based on the in-county rate
•    Maryland residents: 25 percent tuition discount based on the in-state/out-of-county rate
•    Out-of-state residents: 25 percent tuition discount based on the out-of-state rate.

Verification of residency and submission of the State Tuition Waiver Letter is required. Guard members should consult with their commanding officers and the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs. See page 27 for more information about BRAC.

MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Account) is a career and education initiative sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense which enables eligible spouses to receive financial assistance towards training and/or job readiness courses. MyCAA pays tuition for education and training courses, and professional licenses, certifications and credentials. Only spouses of military personnel holding specific pay grades are eligible to participate in the program.  These grades are:  E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2.  Students need to register for the program at the MyCAA website: and should contact the Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs.

Veterans Benefits
The college welcomes the opportunity to assist veterans of the armed forces and the dependents of veterans. Howard Community College’s veterans affairs services are administered through the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs. Information sessions are offered that explain many of the college’s services, in addition to the process of applying for veterans benefits. The college also maintains a comprehensive veterans web site:

Students are encouraged to visit the office to meet with the veterans’ affairs staff. Students planning to apply for veterans’ benefits should contact the veterans’ affairs staff as soon as they are admitted (RCF-233; 443-518-4514;

Veterans are strongly encouraged to utilize Howard Community College’s Veterans Deferred Payment Plan as well as the Tuition Payment Plan (information on this page), each of which can help students take advantage of early registration opportunities and manage their payment obligations until they receive their benefit payment (see earlier on this page for information regarding each plan). Students are also entitled to take advantage of Howard Community College’s many other programs to assist them with college costs, including financial aid and scholarships. Learn more about these options by visiting

Students using certain VA educational benefits may be required to self-certify attendance on a monthly basis in order to receive payment. Students should contact the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs to determine if they must complete this process. A student must submit a registration statement each semester to a VA Certifying Official in the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs in order to receive VA educational benefits payment. Submission of this paperwork will be considered a formal request to forward certification to the VA regional office. Students who drop or withdraw from classes must notify a certifying official. Failure to do so may result in overpayment from the VA.

In accordance with VA regulations, all coursework certified for educational benefit payment must apply to an eligible degree or certificate of proficiency program as outlined in the college catalog. VA educational benefits cannot be paid for coursework that is audited. Students pursuing a dual major at HCC must write a letter documenting the reason for pursuing the dual major. The Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs will contact the local VA office on behalf of the student to obtain permission to certify the dual major. VA students enrolled in coursework required only for transfer to a four-year college must provide a letter on college letterhead from the transfer college to document the requirement. A copy of the four-year college catalog cannot be accepted as documentation.
VA regulations require that all students receiving VA educational benefits meet the college’s academic satisfactory progress standard (page 32). Students who are reported as never attended or who withdraw may be subject to repaying funds received for the course to the Veterans Administration. Students who receive a grade of F, W, or who are reported as never attended and have documentation of mitigating circumstances should submit a detailed letter and documentation to substantiate the claim to the Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs. Repeat coursework for which an unsatisfactory grade is assigned (F, L, or W) may be ineligible for payment. Repeat coursework previously completed with a passing grade (A, B, C, D) is not eligible to be certified for educational benefit payment. The Adjudication Officer at the Veterans Administration will make all final determinations concerning payment approval. Appeal requests for payment denial should be directed to the Veterans ­Affairs regional office at 1-888-GIBILL-1. Howard Community College does not participate in the advance pay program.

Tutorial service is available to all eligible veterans who are enrolled at least halftime. Any veteran wishing to utilize a tutor may complete the VA tutorial application (VA form 22-1990t) at the Office of Records, Registration, and Veterans’ Affairs after completion of the tutorial assistance. The tutor must verify the information reported by the applicant, certify that individualized tutorial assistance was given to the applicant and certify that the tutor is not a close relative of the veteran. The supplementary assistance allowance will be paid at the rate of the monthly cost of tutorial ­assistance not to exceed the rate allowed by law per month. This assistance amount is not to exceed $1,200. (Please note: HCC also offers free small group tutoring through its Learning Assistance Center.)

For more information, visit or contact the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans’ Affairs (RCF-233; 443-518-1240;

Tuition Waivers
•    Senior Citizens
    Tuition is waived for students 60 years of age or older legally residing in Maryland. Senior students are obligated to pay all additional college fees.

•    Retired & Disabled
    Tuition is waived for students who are disabled and no longer in the workforce as defined by the Social Security or Railroad Retirement Acts, but they are obligated to pay all additional college fees. To qualify:
    –Students are first required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application in order to be eligible to receive a tuition waiver.
    –The college is required to apply any financial grants or scholarships received towards tuition before the tuition waiver is applied.
    –The waiver now limits students to taking up to 6 or up to 12 credits per semester, depending on a student’s educational goals.
    –Tuition waivers for students with disabilities are available for some noncredit, continuing education workforce development and life skills courses. View list of eligible courses at or call 443-518-1700 for more information.
    –The college must receive a completed “Certification for Tuition Waiver” form, verified annually by Social Security Administration prior to each academic year.
For additional information concerning this tuition waiver, please contact the Finance Office at 443-518-4765. Or, you may visit the Finance Office in person, located in the Rouse Company Foundation Student Services Hall (RCF) Room 202B.

•    Tuition Waiver for Foster Care ­Recipients–Students who meet the following criteria may be eligible to receive a tuition waiver:
–completed the FAFSA between January 1 and March 1 each year;
–resided in out-of-home placement in Maryland at the time of high school graduation or successful completion of a general equivalency development exam (GED); or
–resided in out-of-home placement on the 13th birthday and then adopted after the 13th birthday; and
–confirmation by the Maryland State Department of Human Resources that the student is eligible to receive this waiver.

•    BRAC–State law allows the three month residency requirement to be waived for individuals and their dependents relocating to Maryland due to the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) initiative. Those residing in Howard County will be entitled to in-county tuition rates; those residing in another Maryland county are entitled to in-state tuition rates. Specific procedures must be followed. For more information contact the Office of Admissions and Advising (RCF-242;;

D.C. Tuition Assistance Grant (DC TAG) Program
Public College Option for Undergraduate Students: Provides up to $10,000 per year for five years. Funds the financial difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition at participating public colleges throughout the United States.

Who is Eligible?
Students who graduated from high school or earned a GED on or after January 1, 1998, resided in the District of Columbia for a minimum of 12 months prior to enrolling in college, enrolled in college within 3 years of high school graduation (or GED completion), are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens and have been accepted at an eligible college or university.

How Do I Apply?
Complete the D.C. One Application, available at DC-CAP centers, the Greater Washington College Info Center, the D.C. TAG website or by calling the DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program Office at (202) 727-2824.

D.C. College Access Program (DC-CAP) Last Dollar Awards
Provides college “last dollar” award scholarships of up to $2,000 per year (up to five years), to DC public high school students, to help make up the difference between a student’s resources, financial aid and actual college expenses.

Who is Eligible?
You must be a graduate of a DC Public High School from 2001 to the present.

How Do I Apply?
•    Submit a completed DC-CAP Authorization form
•    Complete the FAFSA, DC TAG & DC LEAP Applications
•    Submit copies of the following: Student Aid Report (SAR), Financial Aid Award Letter, and grades for the previous semesters/years in college

NOTE: The minimum GPA requirement to be eligible for the award is a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students whose GPA falls below a 2.0 are encouraged to contact the Retention Office for academic counseling.

Financial Literacy
In addition to the various ways students may receive assistance in paying for college, the college recognizes the importance of financial literacy for its students. Financial literacy involves skills such as budgeting, avoiding credit card debt, managing student loans, saving, internet commerce, and identity protection. The college strives to provide various programs, publications, and credit and noncredit courses to assist students in acquiring this important information.

hcc catalogue '11-'12

Accounting - ACCT
Aging Services - AGNG
American Sign Language - AMSL
Anthropology - ANTH
Arabic - ARAB 
Art - ARTT 
Astronomy - ASTR
Bioinformatics - BFMT 
Biology - BIOL 
Biomechanical Engineering - BMET
Business - BMGT 
Cardiovascular Technology - CARD
Chemistry - CHEM 
Chinese - CHNS 
Cisco - CSCO 
Computer-Aided Design - CADD
Computer Forensics - CFOR 
Computer Systems - CMSY 
Conflict Resolution - CRES
Construction Management - CNST 
Cooperative Education - COOP
Criminal Justice - CRIM 
Culinary Management - CMGT 
Dance - DANC
Dental Hygiene - DHYG 
Diagnostic Medical
Sonography - DMSU

Economics - ECON 
Education - EDUC 
Electronics - ELEC 
Emergency Medical Technician/
Paramedic - EMSP
Engineering -ENES 
English- ENGL 
Entrepreneurship - ENTR 
Environmental Science - ENST
Exercise Science - EXSC 
Farsi - FARS
Film - FILM 
Financial PLanning- FNPL 
Fine Arts - FINE 
French - FREN 
Geography - GEOG 
Geology - GEOL 
German - GERM 
Greek - GREK 
Health Care - HEAL 
Health Education - HEED 
Hebrew - HBRW
Hindi - HNDI
History - HIST 
Horticulture - HORT 
Hospitality Management - HMGT
Human Development - HMDV 
Human Services - HUMS 
Humanities - HUMN
Interior Design - INDS
Italian - ITAL 
Japanese - JPNS
Korean - KORE 
Life Fitness - LFIT 
Mathematics - MATH 
Medical Laboratory
Technician - MLTS

Meteorology - METO 
Microsoft - MSFT 
Music - MUSC 
Nursing - NURS 
Nutrition - NUTR
Office Technology - OFFI 
Philosophy - PHIL 
Photonics - PHOT
Physical Therapist
Assistant - PTAP
Physics - PHYS 
Political Science - POLI 
Portuguese - PORT
Psychology - PSYC 
Public Health - PUBH
Radiologic Technology - RADT
Retailing - RETL 
Russian - RUSS 
Social Work - SOWK
Sociology - SOCI 
Spanish - SPAN 
Speech - SPCH 
Telecommunications - TELE
Television and Radio - TVRD
Theatre - THET 
Turkish - TURK
Wireless Communications - WCOM
Women's Studies - WMST