Please print out this course description and read it before proceeding with the course.
Personal Financial Planning focuses on techniques and critical thinking skills needed to manage your personal finances. Upon completion of this course students should be able to use these skills and techniques to make knowledgeable financial decisions in the future. Emphasis is placed on these key components of financial planning: obtaining income, planning how income is spent, saving money, and borrowing money, managing risk, investing, retirement and estate planning.
Prerequiisites ENGL-121 or permission of the instructor
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Monitor and control your expenses and develop a plan to manage and repay debt.
- Develop specific financial plans and goals.
- Explain the rules of effective cash management; evaluate credit choices and identify the alternatives in consumer purchasing decisions.
- Compare and understand different types of financial institutions and financial services.
- Establish strategies to legally minimize the taxes your pay.
- Compare investment options as to safety of principal, potential return and protection against inflation.
- Evaluate stocks, bonds and mutual funds investment choices.
- Analyze insurance needs for a family or individual.
- Discuss aspects of retirement and estate planning.
Required Texts and Materials
Textbook information: To visit our bookstore's online sales site, please visit www.howardccbooks.com and follow the instructions for selecting textbooks.
You will have a variety of assignments with specific due dates as indicated on the course calendar.
The course material is sequential. Assignments are to be completed in the order given on your calendar.
All assignments should be submitted in a Microsoft Word format.
Some of the types of learning activities or assignments that the student will be required to complete are:
Read chapters in the textbook.
Read reference material which has been provided within the class.
Discuss online a topic with the class as assigned.
Submit a discussion topic for approval.
Prepare a “Financial Health” package. See specifications as to length and qualities
Select and follow 5 stock companies and evaluate your % of gain or loss over 10 weeks. Write a report about one company of your choice with an evaluation of the company stock.
Prepare an analysis of several mutual fund choices.
Instructions and directions for other asignments are given in the Chapter Modules section of the class or posting with icons on the homepage.
The calendar lists due dates for papers, projects, and exams.
There will be two exams. Exams will not be open book and will be taken online.
Required Viewers, Plug-ins, or Players
Visit the eLearning homepage and use the link provided in the “Support for Registered Students” area link to download plug-ins The following plug-ins are required for this class:
- Acrobat Viewer
- Excel Viewer, if you don’t have the full version of Microsoft Excel
- Internet Explorer
- Java installed and enabled
- PowerPoint Viewer, if you don’t have the full version of Microsoft PowerPoint
- Real Player
- Windows Media Player
If you have any questions or comments about this course, please send a message to
Vanessa Bright, email@example.com
Last updated on 25-Jun-10
© Howard Community College, 2000