Find everything that you need
- Everything that you need to complete the steps is explained in the next 7 steps
- To see the Handbooks, Agency Directories and Forms, click on the links below
Read through the Student Handbook
- Make sure you understand all of the guidelines for Service Learning at HCC
- Be sure to read through the practice phone interview before reach out to service sites
Step 1: Complete a Service Learning Waiver
- If you are under 18 years of age, your parent/guardian will also need to sign the waiver
Step 2: Find a Site & Contact Them
- Review the partners in the Agency Directory and select a potential service site
- NOTE: Nursing Students have a special version
- Check the service site with the guidelines presented by your instructor to make sure that it fits your class requirements
- You MUST select a site from the approved HCC Agency Directory list
- Are you going to volunteer at a public school? If so, fill out a Criminal History Disclosure Statement form, have it notarized & return it to the Center for Service Learning (McCuan Hall 120) BEFORE you start volunteering
- ASK YOURSELF...
- Will you be able to easily travel to this service site to volunteer?
- Do the hours of operation fit into your schedule?
- When you contact the agency or school:
- Talk with the Volunteer Coordinator about service opportunities
- Make sure that the volunteer assignment you agree to meets your course requirements
Step 3: Complete a Service Learning Placement Agreement
Step 4: Log Your Service Hours
- Record your service hours on the Hours Log and have your site supervisor initial next to each entry
- On your last day of service, after fulfilling your hours, have your site supervisor sign your Hours Log and complete the Student Assessment on the right side of the page