Accelerated Learning Program for ESL students – ENGL 121 -EALP
What is the EALP?
The Accelerated Learning Program for ESL students (EALP) is a program that allows students with appropriate placement scores* to accelerate their entry into ENGL 121, saving time and money.
Who can participate?
The EALP is for ESL students with strong placement scores in reading and writing:
- Reading placement: students place into ENGL 121 or successfully complete ENGL 086.
- Writing placement: students score 65-89* in sentence skills placement test.
In order to develop essential ENGL 087 skills, EALP students are required to complete a supplementary online program in addition to ENGL 121.
Is the EALP supplemental program an additional course?
- the EALP program is not a full course. It is a support program, has fewer requirements, and requires less time than a full course. Students work independently but are in contact with an instructor throughout the semester:
- students meet one-on-one with their EALP instructor three times during the semester.
- students communicate with their EALP instructor and other EALP students through Canvas, email, or face-to-face.
What does the online program consist of?
- lessons on essential ENGL 087 skills
- exercises to practice those skills
- short written submissions to implement the skills through writing.
Online work requires commitment and the ability to work independently.
Please see your advisor regarding eligibility and placement.