Skip Navigation

What’s the difference between information systems and computer science?

The math requirement is the biggest difference—look carefully at the required courses.  Information systems majors (Option II: B.S. in business administration) and computer science majors take the same programming classes at HCC. At your transfer school, however, the upper-level courses will be VERY different. As a graduate, a computer science major would have the math to equip him/her for work in engineering firms or research laboratories, while an information systems major would not. Information systems majors, however, can work in many government agencies and businesses programming and designing applications that require no math beyond calculus.

What programming languages are taught at Howard Community College?

Java, C++, Visual Basic, JavaScript, PHP & MySQL are taught.

Do I have to take both semesters of C++ here or may I take one and then transfer?

If you are transferring to UMBC, you MUST take both semesters here. All of the other schools strongly urge you to take both classes at the same school. At statewide meetings, both two- and four-year schools agree on the topics that need to be covered by the end of the second C++ course, but the sequences may differ. Thus, taking one course at one school and then transferring might cause you to miss an important topic or two.

If you have more questions or if would like additional information about the department's programs, please contact John Bielski at or 443-518-4206.