Skip Navigation

Changes to Students Record

Howard Community College (HCC) students are responsible for any and all actions taken on their student record; this includes but is not limited to updating contact information, initiating registration and registration changes, submitting coursework, and making payment arrangements.  All changes to the student record that are initiated in writing or through myHCC may only be done by the student.  Students are not permitted to share their usernames or passwords to college assigned accounts with anyone to ensure identity remains both protected and authenticated. 

Initial Registration

Students should see an academic advisor prior to registering for courses.  Registration dates may be found on the college’s website.  Schedule additions and changes may be made during registration periods as long as the student is qualified, a seat is available, and the class has not met for the second time.

Late Registration

Once the term has begun, registration will only be permitted in classes that have available seats and that have not met for the second time.  Once classes have met for the second time, the academic division chairperson may grant permission for late entry.  In such cases, the academic division will issue the student a credit course enrollment override form.  The student must submit this form to the office of records, registration, and veterans’ affairs (RRVA), along with a registration form.  In online courses that have available seats, late registration is permitted during the first two days of the late registration period.  Noncredit students who want to register after classes have begun should contact the division of continuing education and workforce development.

Drops and Withdrawals for Credit Courses

Drops from classes must be made during the specified period listed on the college’s website for 15-week classes.  Before the term begins, a student may drop courses during the specified registration dates, which can be found in myHCC.

First Three Weeks of Classes or Equivalent

A student who wants to drop a course during the first three weeks of class or its equivalent period of time (up to the first 20 percent of the section’s dates) for accelerated or late starting classes should use myHCC or complete and submit a drop/add form to RRVA.  The refund deadlines appear in myHCC.  The college strictly adheres to refund deadlines. 

Fourth to Tenth Week of Classes or Equivalent

A student who wants to withdraw from a class during the fourth to the tenth week of classes or its equivalent period of time (between 21 and 60 percent of the section’s dates) should do so via myHCC or complete and submit an official withdrawal form to RRVA.  The student will receive a grade of “W” on transcripts.  Students are strongly encouraged to see an academic advisor prior to withdrawing from courses.  Financial aid and scholarship students must consult with financial aid services; students receiving veterans’ benefits or tuition assistance must consult with RRVA.  Students who withdraw from a course may no longer attend that course.

Never Attended (NA) Grade

Instructors identify students who register for courses and never attend a single meeting in the first 20 percent of the section’s dates with an “NA” grade.  Instructors assign this grade by submitting an "NA" grade in myHCC before 20 percent of class meetings for a section.  Students who register for online sections receive an “NA” grade if they fail to participate or engage in work or discussions on the online learning management system used in the section; logging in is not solely considered participation.  "NA" grades are due by 20 percent of the section’s class meetings and may not be removed. Students who receive NAs are not eligible to receive a final grade in the course and may not begin attending after the NA is reported. 

Obtaining a Transcript for Credit Courses

Students may request transcripts by mail, in myHCC, or in person at RRVA.  All written requests must be signed and dated by the student.  There is no charge for transcripts requested in person or by mail. Transcripts are not issued to students with financial holds.  Online requests are charged a processing fee.  Transcript requests are normally processed within two business days.  Single transcripts issued to the student can be printed upon request except during peak registration periods.  The college issues both official and unofficial transcripts.  Official transcripts are sealed in windowed envelopes. Official and unofficial transcripts contain the same student record information.  The college will not release transcripts from high schools or other colleges maintained in a student's record; such documents remain the sole property of the issuing institution.  Unofficial transcripts can be obtained online through a student’s myHCC account.

Graduation Applications

The college has three graduation dates and one commencement ceremony.  For information on application deadlines and graduation requirements, refer to procedure 10.04.01, Graduation Requirements.

Change of Grade for Credit Courses

An issued grade may be changed when a change of grade form or NA removal form is prepared by the instructor, approved by the dean, and received in RRVA. 

Incomplete Work

Outstanding “I” grades will be converted to “F” grades after the seventh week in the following major term.  Grading policy requires that the “I” grade designation be changed to a permanent grade, other than “L” or “W”, within a predetermined period of time determined by the instructor at the time that the grade is assigned.  Normally, the period to complete objectives shall not exceed the end of the seventh week of the next full term or the incomplete will be converted to an “F” grade.  An incomplete grade contract form, specifying the necessary objectives and the period of time within which they need to be completed, is prepared by the instructor and signed by the student.  A copy of this form is sent to RRVA as an attachment to the final grade roster. Degrees and certificates cannot be awarded if incomplete coursework is pending.

Records and Registration Appeals Committee

A student who has an unexpected life event or other extenuating circumstances during a term may request an exception to HCC’s dates and deadlines.  In such circumstances, the student should submit a complete appeal to the records and registration appeals committee.  A complete appeal includes the appeals form, which is available through the RRVA and its webpage, and appropriate supporting, dated documentation.  Complete appeals must be submitted to RRVA no later than the end of the seventh week of the next fall or spring semester following the term for which the student is appealing.  Students whose appeals are denied are entitled to submit one additional appeal to the attention of the registrar.

An involuntary withdrawal may be requested whenever there are circumstances beyond the student’s control, which make it impossible to complete the course in progress during a given term.  A withdrawal is considered involuntary if it results from one of the following situations:

  • Called to active military duty via enlistment, activation, or deployment;
  • Illness of the student or in the immediate family of the student (immediate family includes a child, parent, spouse or other regular member of the individual’s household);
  • Pregnancy, pregnancy-related or parenting-related issue;
  • Death of the student or in the immediate family of the student; or
  • Involuntary transfer/change in work hours by the student’s employer which precludes continued attendance.  Military branches of services are considered employers under this section.

In all cases, appropriate, dated documentation must be provided.  Documentation that qualifies students for a drop may be used to grant a refund.  However, it is a student’s responsibility to fulfill the student’s financial obligation to the college, as the appeal may impact financial aid awards or military/veterans benefits.

Change of Personal Information

Students must complete a change of information form to revise their name, address, or telephone number or indicate these revisions on their registration form.  These forms are submitted to the RRVA.  Address changes may also be processed by college offices upon receipt of updated contact information from contracted vendors.  Verification of the new address may be required.  When a student moves after the start of a term, any change in billing status will take effect for the following term; a complete Application to Change Residency may be required.

Federal legislation relating to tuition and fees tax deductions and credits requires colleges and universities to report students’ social security numbers (SSNs) to the Internal Revenue Service.  The college is also required to maintain SSNs for students who receive financial aid, veterans benefits, tuition assistance, the State’s disability waiver, etc. All credit students must provide their SSNs or opt out through myHCC.  Failing to take either action will result in an annual fine of $100 that the student will be held responsible for paying.

Change of Area of Study

Students who want to officially change their area of study must submit a complete change of learning program form to the office of admissions and advising.

Policy Manual Review/Revision:  02/27/15