Skip Navigation


Howard Community College is committed to the educational, career and personal advancement of those who serve in the armed forces.  Military veterans, active duty military personnel, reservists, members of the National Guard and qualified dependents are able to obtain assistance in applying for veterans’ benefits, and in accessing the full range of college’s services, such as academic advising, career counseling and job assistance, personal counseling, tutoring, disability support services, and mentoring.  Special emphasis is placed on informing students who serve or have served in the armed forces about the full range of available options to help them pay for college.


The college’s office of records, registration, and veterans affairs administers HCC’s veterans’ benefits program.  The registrar and coordinator of veterans affairs also serve as liaisons facilitating the access of veterans to other college units and services.


The college’s application fee is waived for veterans of the armed forces as well as active duty military personnel and their dependants.  A student planning to apply for veterans’ benefits should contact the office of records, registration, and veterans affairs as soon as the student has enrolled in the college or registered for classes.  The Veterans Administration (VA) makes tuition and fee payments directly to the college for students using the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  The VA forwards all payments via electronic funds transfer or check directly to the students who use other forms of VA educational benefits.  The college also offers a deferred payment plan specifically designed for students utilizing a qualified VA education benefit.  Students eligible for veterans’ benefits may also be eligible for other forms of financial assistance such as federal and state financial aid, scholarships, work-study, the college’s FACTS payment plan, and others.  Veterans are strongly encouraged to consult with HCC’s financial aid services unit about these opportunities.  Students using VA education benefits should plan their finances to cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies as well as a minimum of two months of estimated living expenses.  Benefit payment can be expected within 12 weeks from the date a student’s claim is forwarded from HCC to the VA regional office.  Students using the Montgomery GI Bill and Selected Reserve GI Bill are required to self-certify attendance and enrollment on a monthly basis.


In accordance with VA regulations, all coursework certified for educational benefit payment must be part of an eligible degree or certificate of proficiency at Howard Community College as outlined in the college catalogue.  VA educational benefits cannot be paid for coursework that is audited.


VA students enrolled in coursework required only for transfer to a four-year college or university must provide an official letter prepared by the transfer institution on its institutional letterhead to document the requirement.  A copy of the four-year institution’s catalogue cannot be accepted as documentation.


VA regulations require that all students receiving VA educational benefits meet the academic satisfactory progress standard as stated in the college catalogue.


Students who receive the grade of “NA” or “W” in a course may be subject to repaying funds received for the course to the Veterans Administration.  Students who receive the grade of “F,” “NA,” or “W” and have documentation of mitigating circumstances should submit a detailed letter and related documentation to substantiate the claim to the office of records, registration, and veterans affairs at Howard Community College.  Repeat course work for which an unsatisfactory grade was assigned (F, L, W, and NA) may be eligible to be certified for educational benefit payment.  Repeat coursework previously completed with a passing grade (A, B, C, D) is not eligible to be certified for educational benefit payment.  The adjudication officer at the VA will make all final determinations concerning payment approval.  Appeal requests for payment denial should be directed to the Veterans Affairs regional office at 1-888-GIBILL-1.  Howard Community College does not participate in the advance pay program.
H.HCC provides tutoring services to its students free of charge; these are generally small group sessions, though students may qualify for individual sessions under some circumstances.  In addition to the services all students are eligible to receive, eligible veterans, who are enrolled at half-time or more, may be entitled to additional and individualized tutorial services.  Any veteran wishing to utilize additional tutoring services may complete the VA tutorial application (VA Form 22-1990t) and submit it to the office of records, registration, and veterans affairs after completion of the tutorial assistance.  The tutor must verify the information reported by the applicant, and certify that individualized tutorial assistance was given to the applicant and that the tutor is not a close relative of the veteran.  The supplementary assistance allowance will be paid at the rate of the monthly cost of tutorial assistance not to exceed the rate allowed by law per month.  This assistance amount is not to exceed $1,200.

Policy Manual Review/Revision:  4/8/11