A. Duties of the Officers
- President – The president shall provide an agenda for all meetings and see that the business of the Faculty Forum runs effectively. He/she shall preside at all meetings of the executive council and the Faculty Forum; if he/she is unable to attend, he/she will notify the vice president to at in his/her absence. The president shall have the power to speak in the name of the Faculty Forum after he/she is reasonably sure that his/her ideas represent the views of the faculty. He/she is responsible for providing the members of the Faculty Forum with a brief account of the board of trustees’ proceedings shortly after each general meeting.
- Vice President – The vice president shall act in the absence of the president and take upon himself/herself the duties of the president should the president be unable to carry out those duties. The vice president shall keep the archival records of the organization.
- Secretary – The secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings that will be distributed to all members of the Faculty Forum, and posted on an electronic bulletin board. He/she shall keep permanent records of the proceedings of the Faculty Forum, all committees and administrative memorandums (to include general memorandums as well as direct communications to the Faculty Forum president).
- Treasurer – The treasurer shall be responsible for all monies collected through Faculty Forum. A record of all income and expenditures shall be maintained by the treasurer. A treasurer’s report will be a standing agenda item for all Faculty Forum meetings.
- The Executive Council Representatives – The Council representatives will represent the faculty members of their respective divisions at the monthly meeting of the Executive Council. These representatives will serve as an agent and conduit for their divisional colleagues, and shall have the power to speak in the name of faculty division members after he/she is reasonably sure that his/her ideas represent the views of faculty division members. They will convey their colleagues concerns, questions, and recommendations to the Executive Council. The Council shall conduct and respond to the monthly business of the forum and disseminate information back to the general membership. The representatives shall also be responsible for polling and compiling their divisional constituents on votes that require a faculty referendum. Otherwise, the council members shall be a working committee of the whole forum assisting the president in representing and determining faculty interests.
Committee members will be elected by majority vote of the general Faculty Forum for the term specified. Forum committees, temporary or standing, may be created or dissolved by a majority vote of the voting members of the Faculty Forum Executive Committee of Faculty Forum attending a general meeting.
C. Election of Officers
Elections shall be held in May. Forum officers may be elected by secret ballot. Nominations will be taken for forum officers at least one week prior to the date of elections. If the required slate is not filled by nominations from the floor, the officers present at the meeting will nominate as many persons as required. All voting members of the Faculty Forum shall cast one vote and a majority of votes will be required to be elected for office. The officers shall be elected for terms of one year and will take office immediately.
1. Article 1 – Name
The name of this organization shall be the Faculty Forum, Howard Community College (HCC).
2. Article 2 – Purpose of the Organization
a. The general goals of the Faculty Forum are as follows:
1) To improve the quality of instruction at HCC
2) To promote unity among the teaching faculty of HCC
3) To provide a voice for faculty in matters of instruction, curricula and student learning
4) To provide opportunities for the exchange of ideas and concerns among members of the faculty
5) To support an attitude of faculty professionalism
6) To provide input for internal governance and other college committees
7) To foster the exchange of ideas among other community college faculty
8) To provide information to groups in Maryland concerned with higher education
b. The general functions of the Faculty Forum are as follows:
1) Promote a sense of faculty social interaction through faculty initiated social functions
2) Select members of college-wide committees such as Internal Governance Committees, Salary and Fringe Benefits Committee, etc.
3) Foster exchange of ideas and concerns:
a) Open forum to discuss activities in various college service areas; i.e., community service, college service, student services, etc., which affect all faculty
b) Open forum to exchange information and ideas between faculty
c) Open forum to discuss general college-wide administrative actions that pertain to faculty
d) Open forum opportunity for part-time faculty to express their concerns and needs.
4) Disseminate information between faculty and committee representatives:
a) Inform faculty of college-wide committee activities (present and proposed)
b) Advise committee representatives of faculty viewpoint.
5) Disseminate information between HCC faculty and other groups concerned with higher education in Maryland
3. Article 3 – Membership
The membership of the Faculty Forum shall consist of all full-time teaching faculty. Part-time faculty, although non-voting members, may attend meetings, participate in discussions and serve on committees. Non-voting membership may be extended or withdrawn to persons outside of the above categories by a majority vote of the Faculty Forum membership.
4. Article 4 – Officers
The officers of this organization shall be:
a. President – The president is elected annually from a slate of eligible members of the Faculty Forum.
b. Vice President - The vice president is elected annually from a slate of eligible members of the Faculty Forum.
c. Secretary – The secretary is elected annually from a slate of eligible members of the Faculty Forum.
d. Treasurer – The treasurer is elected annually from a slate of eligible members of the Faculty Forum.
e. Executive Council – The Executive Council is composed of divisional representatives, a part-time faculty representative, and the elected Faculty Forum President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. The Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer shall be the divisional representatives for their respective divisions; however, the division to which the President belongs shall elect a divisional representative. Each division will elect one (1) representative on an annual basis. Part-time faculty will elect one (1) representative each year. In addition, the out-going Faculty Forum President will serve on the Executive Council in an ex-officio capacity for a period of one (1) year.
5. Article 5 – Meetings and Quorum
a. Section 1 – Meetings of the Executive Council of the Faculty Forum will be held once a month. An agenda for these meetings will be submitted to the faculty two days prior to the meeting. Extra meetings may be called by the president or by a majority vote of the executive council.
1) Faculty may attend Executive Council meetings. They may participate in all discussions, but may not vote.
2) Minutes of the Executive Council meetings will be available to the general membership via divisional representatives.
b. Section 2 – There will be at least three general meetings of the “Forum of the Whole” during the school year. These meetings could be held before the fall semester begins, during the mid-year break and during the faculty development period at the end of the spring semester. Additional meetings may be called by a majority vote of the executive council.
c. Section 3 – A quorum for the general Faculty Forum shall be 22 which includes two members of the Executive Council. A quorum for the Executive Council shall be a majority of the members.
d. Section 4 – The meetings shall be conducted according to Robert’s Rules, Newly Revised.
6. Article 6 - Affiliation
The faculty may be affiliated with other associations with college approval on the local, state or national level when it is deemed by the membership to be in their best interests.
7. Article 7 – Amendment
This constitution or by-laws may be amended in whole or in part by a two-thirds majority vote of the voting members of the Faculty Forum attending a general meeting of the Faculty Forum. A copy of all changes must be submitted to all members of the Faculty Forum at least one week prior to action by the forum.
8. Article 8 – Ratification of Constitution and By-Laws
a. The constitution and by-laws when accepted by a quorum of the Faculty Forum’s voting membership will be transformed to the board of trustees for their review and judgment.
b. If an officer or executive council representative is unable to fulfill his/her term of office, the following procedure shall be followed:
1) If the president vacates his/her office, the vice president shall complete the term of office and a new vice president shall be elected
2) If the vice president or secretary vacates his/her office, the Faculty Forum shall elect a replacement from faculty nominations by a quorum
3) If an executive council representative vacates his/her office, the division and counseling center at its next meeting will elect a replacement by a quorum.
9. Article 9 – Faculty Committee Members
The Faculty Forum shall select faculty representatives to the College Council and other committees as appropriate. The faculty members of each of these committees shall electronically post the minutes of each committee meeting. Before any important action is undertaken by the committee, it is the responsibility of the elected faculty member(s) of these committees to bring these items to the Faculty Forum for discussion to promote a better informed faculty, as well as, to ascertain the faculty’s position on these matters.
Policy Manual Review/Revision: 7/1/00
Reviewed by Faculty Forum Executive Committee: 10/22/08