The following criteria shall be used as the basis for recommendation to Professor Emeritus rank:
- The faculty member will have served ten continuous years as a member of the full-time faculty of Howard Community College.
- The faculty member shall be recognized by peers and supervisors as having made an outstanding contribution to the quality of instruction at Howard Community College.
- The faculty member shall be recognized as having contributed significantly to the quality and growth of the college as a whole.
- Substantial contributions to either the community, profession and/or discipline of the faculty member shall have been made.
- The faculty member shall have earned the rank of Associate or Full Professor at Howard Community College.
- A division chairperson nominates an individual for the rank of professor emeritus to the vice president of academic affairs.
- The vice president of academic affairs carries the nomination to the faculty for consideration.
- The faculty forward to the vice president of academic affairs the recommendation on the nomination.
- The vice president of academic affairs considers the nomination and supportive material and, if appropriate, conveys the nomination with his recommendation to the president.
- The president may convey, if appropriate, the nomination to the board of trustees for consideration. It is the board of trustees who bestows the rank of professor emeritus.
A faculty member who has been approved as professor emeritus by the board of trustees of the college will have the privileges listed below. Approval of the privileges will be by the college president upon request.
- Continued faculty listing in the catalogue with rank of professor emeritus.
- Tuition waiver for any credit and credit-free courses.
- Standing invitation to participate in such institutional functions as Commencement, dedications, etc.
- Be afforded faculty rates for institutionally sponsored events such as plays, film series, and trips.
- Reasonable access to such institutional resources as the library, and computer services.
- Opportunity to participate in the college’s health and insurance program at group rates. The individual will pay the total cost.
Policy Manual Review/Revision: 02/01/10