April 25, 2013
(Columbia, Maryland) — This summer Howard Community College is offering new noncredit continuing education courses that help address the way that science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) topics are taught to preschool age children as well as women and girls. Other new noncredit continuing education course topics include an introduction to Microsoft Publisher as well as real estate investing, buying and selling strategies. Online registration begins April 25; walk-in, fax, and mailed registrations starts May 14. Mailed brochures reach county residences the second week of May.
Below is a listing of some of the new continuing education noncredit courses at Howard Community College.
- STEM-Focused Preschool Curriculum 45 Hours – Residents interested in getting their child care teacher certification can focus on STEM curriculum planning through a series of short classes rather than one long course.
- Preschool Curriculum Planning Essentials – Child care providers can gain an overview of the fundamental components of curriculum planning for preschool age children, which may be combined with STEM curriculum planning classes to complete the curriculum half of 90 hours required by MSDE.—do you want to spell this out?
- Turn Geek to Chic: Programming Basics for Women – New weekend workshop to help women and girls learn about computer programming including Python programming language, command line, and coding.
- Introduction to Microsoft Publisher – Small business owners can learn how to create professional brochures, flyers, menus, business cards, certificates and more.
- Fast Start to Real Estate Investing – Residents can learn The Investment Formula, real estate evaluation techniques, how control real estate without buying, and how to put techniques learned in class into action.
- Buying and Selling Strategies for Property Owners – Students in this class will examine the challenges property buyers and sellers face today and solutions to help save money and make money when buying, selling, and investing in real estate.
- Developing Your Real Estate Investing Business Plan – Entrepreneurs interested in real estate investing can learn how to begin building a company that minimizes liability, maximizes potential profits, and promotes sustained growth for years to come.
Most classes are grade-free and exam-free, except licensure/certification offerings. Businesses may also arrange customized training for groups of staff members on the company site or at the college’s business training facilities.
To view a complete list of new courses for 2013, click here. For more information, call HCC’s Division of Continuing Education & Workforce Development at 443-518-1700 or visit coned.howardcc.edu.
Howard Community College (HCC) is a publicly funded two-year community college serving the educational needs of the citizens and employers in Howard County, Maryland since 1970. With its slogan, “You Can Get There from Here,” the college has forged a variety of partnerships to offer career and transfer programs to over 30,000 students annually at its main campus in Columbia, the Ecker Business Training Center, Laurel College Center, and Mount Airy College Center for Health Care Education. Located midway between two major metropolitan areas, Washington DC and Baltimore, MD, Howard Community College is an affordable, community-based institution that has long been recognized for its ability to inspire learning, and the lifelong pursuit of personal and professional goals. Among its many awards is the prestigious U.S. Senate Productivity Award for organizational performance excellence.