The Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center uses members of the community to help supplement our House Staff. To be a Volunteer Usher for one of our upcoming productions, call the Horowitz Center Box Office at 443-518-1500 ext. 0. Please include your full name and phone number and the productions in which you are interested.
The usher’s primary job is patron assistance, before the performance, during intermission, and at the end of the show.
For theatre events: White top/black bottom
For music concerts: All black attire (*currently, only music students can volunteer to usher for music concerts)
Ushers should look professional (business casual). Below are some suggested guidelines for attire:
- collared shirt (tie not required)
- dress pants
- blouse or nice sweater
- dress pants, skirt, or dress
Unacceptable items - jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, sandals/flip-flops, sweatshirts/sweat pants, tank tops and shorts. If an usher reports to the venue in apparel that is deemed inappropriate, the usher will be excused.
SIGN-IN/USHER MEETING (ONE HOUR PRIOR TO SHOWTIME)
You must check in at your assigned venue (Smith Theatre, Studio Theatre, or Monteabaro Recital Hall) one hour prior to show time. Prior to each event, the House Manager will go over your assignment and give you other important information.
BEFORE THE PERFORMANCE
- Check in with the House Manager one hour prior to show time.
- Become familiar with the locations of the box office, water fountains, restrooms and other venues.
- Be available to answer patron questions.
- Greet all patrons and thank them for coming.
- Provide special assistance for patrons that may have special seating needs.
- Ensure that no outside food or drinks are taken into the venue.
- Be upbeat and friendly.
DURING THE PERFORMANCE
- Refrain from talking or texting during the performance.
- Sit near the exit so that you can provide assistance to any patrons who may leave before intermission or the end of the show.
AFTER THE PERFORMANCE
- Look for lost and found items and give them to the House Manager.
- Pick up programs that are left behind and return any undamaged programs for re-use. If there are left over inserts/envelopes that are in good condition, return them to the House Manager.
- Pick up any trash that is left behind in the venue and in the lobby.
- When program inserts (stuffers) are used, all ushers are to help stuff programs. All inserts are to be placed inside the front cover of the program.
- Bring any patron issues to the attention of the House Manager.
- Sell refreshments during intermissions.
- Ensure that patrons adhere to the food/beverage restrictions; no food or beverages with the exception of bottled water, allowed in the venue.
- In the event of an emergency, ushers should follow the direction of the House Manager and/or HCC Security Staff.
- Assist any patrons with special needs to the exit in the event of an evacuation.