Skip Navigation

College Policy Number/Title:

Full-time, position control/budgeted employees and adjunct faculty are issued office keys and/or access cards at the time of their employment when the appropriate forms are initiated and endorsed.  For full-time employees, keys are obtained through plant operations and access cards are obtained through the public safety office.  For adjunct faculty, the process is the same except access cards are obtained through the respective division office.  When regular access to areas other than one's own work area is required, appropriate documentation and supervisory approval is mandatory prior to the release of keys and/or access cards.

If it becomes necessary for other part-time employees to have a key and/or access card, authorization must come from the cost center administrator responsible for the area.  Responsibility for the return of keys and/or access cards issued on behalf of a part-time employee remains with the cost center administrator.

Campus master keys and/or access cards are assigned to designated personnel; exceptions must be requested in writing and approved by the executive director of capital projects and facilities and director of public safety respectively.  Exterior door keys and/or access cards will be issued with the approval of the area vice president or the president to full-time personnel who need to gain entry to a particular building during off-hours.

Employees should report misplaced or stolen keys and/or access cards immediately to their supervisor, public safety, and plant operations.  If any access card is lost or damaged, please go to the public safety office for replacement.  No charge will be issued for any access card that is replaced.

If a key is lost, it is the responsibility of the employee who lost the key to pay the college $25 per key within 30 days.  This amount is the basic cost to the college for labor and materials with no surcharge or profit margin.  No charge will be issued for the replacement of any key that is damaged or malfunctions due to normal wear or at no fault of the employee.  If the employee fails to reimburse the college within 30 days, the employee’s signature on the key issuance form allows the college to deduct the $25 per key from the employee’s paycheck. 

Upon termination of employment, or internal transfer (when appropriate) all keys and/or access cards must be returned to plant operations and public safety.  An employee's final pay will be held until college keys and/or access cards are returned.  Under no circumstances will any key be duplicated or any access card be given to unauthorized individuals.

Policy for Continuing Education/Noncredit Faculty being provided with Keys/Access Cards

The requirements for access cards differs for noncredit adjunct faculty and only applies to noncredit adjunct faculty teaching on HCC’s main campus.  Noncredit adjunct faculty teaching in other locations will follow the policies and procedures established at those locations.  Noncredit adjunct faculty who teach in the Hickory Ridge building in rooms assigned to the division of continuing education and workforce development will not be required to have access cards, keys, or temporary ID’s; however, they will be required to produce a photo ID to public safety officers before their classrooms will be unlocked.  Public safety personnel will use the printed Hickory Ridge continuing education room schedule that identifies the courses and faculty assigned to each room to determine who is authorized to teach in that classroom.  Adjunct faculty teaching in other locations other than the main campus will also be required to show a photo ID to public safety officers to open the appropriate rooms. 

Effective Date:  9/11/09