College Policy Number/Title:
Contents of an Employee's Personnel File The only documents included in an employee's personnel file are:
- Application for college employment
- Employee Data Sheet
- Updates of employee information
- Resume of prior experience and education
- Letters of reference furnished to the college at the time of the employee's initial employment
- Academic transcripts (if applicable)
- Certificates of occupational competency (if applicable)
- Documents related to routine personnel actions such as benefits and leave
- Correspondence between the college and the employee marked by the originator for inclusion in the personnel file. The originator is the person who wrote the document and would be one of the following: the director of human resources or designee, the employee, the employee's supervisor or others in the designated chain of command.
- Performance evaluations and reports of supervisory conferences addressed to the employee and originated by the supervisor.
- Appropriate and relevant documents related to employment history and performance such as contracts, compensation agreements, promotion, transfer, letters or other documents of commendation, disciplinary action and termination.
Employee's Personnel File Management
Effective Date: 8/1/2000
- Originators wishing to update or add information to a personnel file will forward the materials to the director of human resources for inclusion in the file providing they meet the requirements of the contents described above.
- No anonymous correspondence will be included in an employee's personnel file.
- Reference letters furnished to the college at the time of initial employment will not be available for review by the employee.
- An employee's personnel file will be available to the employee for examination in the office of human resources with reasonable notice and during normal business hours; a human resources staff member will be present during the examination. The employee may elect to be accompanied by an advisor at the time of file examination. Upon the employee's written request, the file may be made available to standing committees or other individuals of the college.
- An employee's personnel file will be available for inspection in the office of human resources to the employee's supervisor and others in the designated chain of command as well as the college attorney, president or authorized designee, the board of trustees and employees of the office of human resources.
- An access sheet will be maintained in each employee's personnel file to record when an individual or group, other than the office of human resources, has examined a particular file.
- With permission of the employee or under court order, access to personnel files is available to authorized individuals or agencies outside the college.
- Single copies of documents in the personnel file are available to the employee upon request, and with reasonable notice. Multiple copies of documents or a copy of the complete file is available upon request and at the employee's expense. Copies of reference letters furnished to the college at the time of initial employment are excluded from this provision.
- Employees who feel that irrelevant or unjustified materials have been included in their personnel files may submit a written objection with a petition to the director of human resources for the removal of such material. If agreement cannot be reached, the employee may pursue an appeal process as specified in the college's "Appeal" procedures 63.13.01 and 63.13.02 of the "Appeal" policy 63.13 in this manual.